The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i've been saying this for two months, since i saw the first preview.

follows right in line with 101 dalmations, Lady & the Tramp, and any other cartoon or movie that portrays animals with human qualities.

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
From a marketing stand point..it is a good pitch. But, I fear the damage that they will do when they sell lots of those to people who either:

1) don't know how to keep SW fish

2) don't know that those two might not get a long with other inhabitants in the tank

3) they get set aside once the kids lose interest in having their "movie stars"

:( :(

·
Registered
807 Posts
so hopefully the $39.99 shipping charge will keep sales of that package to a min.

·
Going Broke
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh it's a good marketing pitch, but go sell plush fish and not real ones. My little 3 year old is asking for the plush fish and not the real one.

Well I guess there's a positive note on this. There's going to be a lot of used aquarium parts for sale really cheap.

"So you paid $200 for the setup. Looks like it's still in a good condition. I'll give you $20 for my trouble of showing up." :D

·
Registered
257 Posts
reefcam, that's terrible!:D

All I could say when I saw that was "oh no..." (It would be ps too wouldn't it:rolleyes: )

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
Here was my comment to them....

(snip)
I think it's attrocious that you are capitalizing on this movie. You all know as well as I do that most of these fish you sell will end up dead to the hands of people who don't have the slightest clue about the requirements that saltwater fish have.

If this practice continues, A protest will be established in the form of a boycot of this company. There are plenty of reef keepers out there that spend thousands of dollars with your company, do you really want to risk it?

I suggest you send out a book onsaltwater fish keeping prior to selling these fish. Let the consumer make an educated purchase
(/snip)

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
You know, for once, PETA might actually do something helpful. :rolleyes:

I have actually thought about calling the paper here and pointing out the local club in hopes that they'd do an article on how difficult, expensive and time-consuming this hobby is. I just might do it, too.

Danielle

·
Super Moderator
22,406 Posts
PETA might work,,,,or do what i did ,,,,,,check out the "comment about our famous fish combo dealie" at the bottom of the page...
BOY! Did I let them know how i felt about that
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
plus if they cared about the fish they sell , as much as them "not mentioning" any names (PIXAR lawsuit, or at least a cut o da $$$ to them)
i like Pet Solutions, and their MANY different catalogs,,,but i send them my displeasure about this new ,shoddy , way of turning a buck,,,,,,no info on keeping them,like any Shmo would stumble on their site , and order it for the kid's betta bowl,,,:rolleyes: but i could happen,,,:(
ran outa steam on this on,,,,carry on TRT'ers and pick up the torch , and tell PS your feelings on this,,,,,

·
Super Moderator
22,406 Posts
Mrs Smith said:
You know, for once, PETA might actually do something helpful. :rolleyes:

I have actually thought about calling the paper here and pointing out the local club in hopes that they'd do an article on how difficult, expensive and time-consuming this hobby is. I just might do it, too.

Danielle
VERY good idea on the hobby end aspect Danielle!:beer:
might do it here,,
as boost to the hobby is always good, except at the hands of profit turners,,,,,,ie: Dalmations,Jack Russells,fish,,,,Cockatoo's
er,,,,,:rolleyes: i did get my Cockatoo in "79 ,in part to the Baretta thang,,,,lucky for me i knew parrots already, and Sinbad still is around to outlive the "fad"
i'm just not crazy 'bout the way PS went about doing this,,,:( :mad:

·
Registered
257 Posts
I just love to see somebody cram a 9" tang in a betta bowl!:eek:
Or even a ten gallon kiddy tank.... but you know it was done at "dalmations" ( the boom of selling famouse "pets" i mean) and the pounds were flooded. The only problem is there is no fish pound (sad sigh)

·
Administrator
47,633 Posts
On the other hand, PETA fielding complaints from reef hobbiests just may have a field day, pushing their anti peta agenda. I liken it to running off to the UN about someone that is not in my best interests. Then again I get the big $ to be PARANOID, so write PS, DIsney/Pixar and anyone else and tell them how you feel.

·
Super Moderator
22,406 Posts
Doug1 said:
On the other hand, PETA fielding complaints from reef hobbiests just may have a field day, pushing their anti peta agenda. I liken it to running off to the UN about someone that is not in my best interests. Then again I get the big $ to be PARANOID, so write PS, DIsney/Pixar and anyone else and tell them how you feel.
very true Doug,,,

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
Yeah, I thought of that too. It's hard to only be moderatly-extreme without being extreme-extreme.

Oh well. I still can't figure out how to get ahold of the local reporters. And it's after hours now. Oh well.

Danielle

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
well hopefully people that are not into saltwater already will never see that ad.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
that's what i was thinking too casey.

but, i think pet solutions wont be the last to market the "movie star package"

i can see it already around here. i plan to keep my eyes open and give someone an earful when i see it!

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
All aquarium fish end up dead. They don't go back to the ocean...

I'm not condoning selling marine fish to people who aren't prepared to keep them, but just how is this any different from any online retail sales pitch?

I've ordered fish online twice (before I became a LFS owner) and from two different establishments. Neither one ever asked me if I had a saltwater tank, what my parameters were or anything - they simply asked for my credit card number, its expiration date, and the address to ship the stuff to.

As a reefkeeping community, we can only hope that bricks and mortar retailers will take the time with their customers to help them prepare for the Nemos and Dorys and Gills and other finny friends they decide to try after seeing the movie. I really doubt that people are stupid enough to go to an online store and order fish if they don't even have a tank to put them in - at some point they will have to hit a bricks and mortar store - hopefully it's a pet store and not a department store - somewhere where somebody can help them get started.

I see potential for good AND bad here. I think it could do good things for interest in the hobby if people conduct themselves appropriately. As we all know, a marine aquarium is generally not a small investment. Yes, there are people with more money than brains out there - but they were there before, and they will be there again. Let's just hope that with the majority, common sense prevails.

I've stocked up on books at my shop.

Jenn

P.S. Let's just be glad that Nemo is a clownfish - readily available captive-raised. I, for one, am glad he didn't turn out to be a Mandarin or a Moorish Idol....

You may have had an awful day, but tomorrow could get worse!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Something musta worked, the ad is gone "deleted":D :dance: :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts