The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! My girl-friend and I have decided to start an aquarium. I've had a 30 gallon reef tank in the past, and of course we've both been down the freshwater route!

We were given a tank and numerous parts and pieces from a family friend. We decided that we would like to build a reef style aquarium. We've been reading and researching and about 5-6 months ago we finally start the new habbitat.

I'm not 100% sure on some of our parts/brands as we did not buy them new, but from what I can tell the following describes our setup:

Tank:
40-50 gallon acryilic hex-shaped 36" w x 15.5" h x 13" d

Filter(s):
Rena FilStar (3 trays - XP3?)
UV Steralizer - Green Killing Machine (cheap-o)
Live rock

Light(s):
Odyssea Quda t-5 with led moon phase

Temp. Control:
Theo Hydro - Not sure about specifics

Live Stock:
[1] Maroon Clown "Big Mike"
[1] Flame Angel Fish "Diesel"
[1] Scarlet Skunk Shrimp "Spudnic"
[1] Blue Hippo Tang "Dory"
[1] Common Clown "Nemo"
[1] Scooter Blenny "Benni"
[6] Turbo Snails
[x] Live Plants

Notes:
We have been feeding them, 3 times daily in small amounts (they are babies). We use frozen meat (brine shrimp), soft krill pellets, as well as green algae. We have the lights come on for about 8-8.5 hours a day with 4 hours of moon lighting (2 before / 2 after). We like to change the water twice a month and only change about a 1/4 of the total volumn. Sometimes this varies. We also test ph, nitrite, nitrate, temp, specific graviety, and ammonia once a week.

The livestock all seem to get along great! The clowns like to hang out near the top back of the tank. The flame fish is always flying around everywhere. The tang likes to hide but comes out when feeding time. The shrimp just hangs up-side down under a rock most of the time.

Future Plans:
We have been reading still, never stops, and we decided that in a year or so (hopefully sooner) we would like to upgrade to 75-100 gallon size tank. I'm also trying to decided if I should add a sump so I can get some of the clutter our of our tiny tank. I believe a protein skimmer is in order as well. We seem to have a film on the surface that won't go away.

That's all for now!!

~ Brian & Jess

·
Administrator
18,746 Posts
Welcome. Sounds like you're going to have fun with this little tank.
The only suggestion I have is to be careful with the feeding. I feed flake once a day and frozen stuff once a week to every two weeks. This will help keep the phosphates and nitrates down in the tank and reduce algae growth. Which makes for a happy aquarist.

·
Administrator
18,746 Posts
I use Formula II flakes made by Ocean Nutrition.
I've used this product for years and really like it. It's high in algae as well as other ingredients that produce good health and color in fish. It also is low in phosphates so it isn't as likely to mess with your water quality (as long as you don't overfeed).

Listed below are the ingredients, so you can see it works for a broad range of fish types. Where this leaves off I use frozen or fresh items to suppliment.

Ingredients:
A fresh seafood mix (including salmon fillets, euphausia pacifica plankton, squid, salmon eggs and/or salmon egg oil, euphausia superba plankton and/or krill hydrolysate, marine algae, sea clams, kelp, herring, adult brine shrimp, and brine shrimp nauplii), spirulina, MPAX [Marine Protein Amino Extract: fish meals, hydrolysates, and select amino acids (arginine, histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, cystine, phenylalanine, threonine, tryptophan, and valine)], wheat flower, egg, lecithin, magnesium sulfate, vitamin premix (ascorbic acid, stabilized vitamin C, dl-alpha tocopheryl acetate, d-pantothenic acid, riboflavin, niacin, menadione, folacin, cholecalciferol, biotin, thiamin, retinol, pyridoxine, and cyanocobalamin), carotenoid pigments (canthaxanthin and/or astaxanthin), artificial color, and preservative (ethoxyquin).
Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude protein (min.) 50%, crude fat (min.) 11.5%, crude fiber (max.) 1%, ash (max.) 6%, moisture (max.) 8.8%, vitamin A (min.) 44,000 iu/kg, vitamin C (min.) 1,600 mg/kg, vitamin D (min.) 2,800 iu/kg, vitamin E (min.) 280 iu/kg.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome! I'll have to go make a trip to the LFS and see what he has. Thanks for the recommendation and info!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts