The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was talking with TDWyatt today and he mentioned that he was interested in getting an order together for reefermadness.com. You get free shipping after you reach a certain point. This group buy will not be right away, we are aiming for March or April. This will give everyone a chance to look over the site and decide if there is anything that they would want. We could plan to have a meeting when the shipment arrives, and distribute everyone's order.

http://www.reefermadness.us/

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
LOL... this will need to be discussed a bit further... we'll talk about it tomorrow for sure.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
I will be ordering enough stuff to make sure that we will have a min order for free shipping, so I am making it available to the new club as a group order as well. I'll be doing this within the next 45 days (if the pump outtage doesn't turn into a disaster), and will post the details here in a thread. I'll probbly make the cutoff a Wednesday so that we'll get the order on a Friday (usually makes it easier for folks to come by either Friday night or Saturdy morning).

Usualy once we establish that it is a group order with ReeferMadness, they will assign a coupon PW that you enter in the coupon section of your order. When you do this, they won't charge you for any shipping. It will be delivered to the Walnut Grove Seaquarium here all together. You pay for your order before it is shipped, without any shipping charges or minimum order quantities. More gory details once we decide more info on the date, etc.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The sps frag pack looks real tempting to me. Anyone want to split a frag pack?

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
let's talk about it tonight Hoang...i may be able to work somethin out with ya

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After further discussion, the group buy will probably be for the APRIL meeting. There are just too many administrative things that need to be discussed at the March meeting right now. That's OK though, it gives everyone more time to save up more money to buy more corals! We also talked about doing salt mix as one of our next powerbuys.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
but we could still just pick it up at tom's on a friday :) sooner than later. i have always wanted to try one of their wysiwyg corals. big $$$ but better be good looking too. i heard they cherry pick those from the warehouses then put them up for sale.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Also... BTW there is no more free shipping at Reefermadness. I'd also like to a group buy from a Aquacultured supplier anyway, trying to do what i can to help what little reefs we have left in the world... and what reefs are left, are in sharp decline...Maybe we can get an order or something from ORA through one of the LFS's??

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
we have bought from ora in the past. we actually still have a few of their corals (roscoe's, german green with blue polyps, miami orchid, and three of their valida tri-colors). they come fully encrusted and they have great colors and growth rates(they are very selective on the ones they keep to culture). If the group was to help us meet the minimum with fish (you have to buy around 30 fish to even start with corals...) shipping, and quick pick up, i am sure we could figure something out. I wouldn't be surprised if they only have about 15 of the corals from their list actually available at the time of ordering. they are a bit hard to work with if you just want corals. They do have a few "new" corals for this year that i would love to try though. Justin's deepwater acro and another one that i can't remember the name of.

I do have another aquaculture provider with corals similar to reefermadness freaky frag pack that would probably be the best bet for this sort of thing that has all different types of frags from riccs to sps.

·
Registered
290 Posts
If we do a group buy from ORA are we talking about getting it at cost or full price? I want a picasso clown or two but can't afford the retail price.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If we do a group order through OF, I don't think it would be fair to ask Craig to let us have the corals and fish at cost. A reduced price (that you otherwise would not get) would be in line with the spirit of a group buy, but he still needs to be compensated for the headache of ordering, unpacking, and holding all of the stuff until people can pick it up. Otherwise, there would be no incentive for him to help us with another group buy in the future. BTW, even though ORA is "famous" for their corals, we should consider other places too which might have just as nice corals for a much lower price. You pay a lot more for an "ORA" than you do for the exact same thing from somewhere else. :doh:

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
I agree Hoang... i was just throwing a "for example" out there. i am open to other places, but i would prefer it to be Aquacultured, and most of what's at reefermadness is harvested wild colonies

1 - 20 of 73 Posts