The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an 01 CBR600 F4i and I need a new front tire asap. Where would a person go to buy bike tires and have them mounted in the southern to mid metro area? Thanks. Don't mean to be clueless but I haven't had a bike for 15 years. :) I forgot how much fun they are.

Kevin

·
Registered
284 Posts
i second hitchin post ask for matt he should still work there

·
Anti-Acan Activist
2,579 Posts
hmmm... being in Savage it may be closer... well maybe not closer but easier and cheaper to go tp that place in Jordan... I forget what it is called though. Anyone help out there on the name? It is the motorcycle boneyard out there. My friend got a tire that seemed like it was brandnew for like $10 or $15 and I think got it mounted there.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The place in Jordan is called Sportwheels I believe, at least it was the last time I was there a couple years ago. Do you have any way to support the front end to take the wheel off? If you do it's pretty easy to change a motorcycle tire, you don't have to stretch it over like with a car. Just need a couple of screwdrivers to work the beads over the lip of the rim. That would save you some money if you only had to have it balanced instead of mounting and balancing.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gatorbait said:
The place in Jordan is called Sportwheels I believe, at least it was the last time I was there a couple years ago. Do you have any way to support the front end to take the wheel off? If you do it's pretty easy to change a motorcycle tire, you don't have to stretch it over like with a car. Just need a couple of screwdrivers to work the beads over the lip of the rim. That would save you some money if you only had to have it balanced instead of mounting and balancing.

Funny you mention that, because the Hitching Post in Hopkins must have used something larger than a screwdriver. It was really nifty that they were open today and had a tire in stock. I took the wheel off and brought it in and they removed the old one and mounted/balanced the new one in less than 2 hours (on memorial day no less). The problem unfortunately is after I got home put the wheel back on and started driving I noticed a nasty hop at slow speeds up to 45 or so. I thought maybe the tire was out of round or something and I got a bad one. Well went home put it on the front wheel jack and spun the wheel. Whoops! There's now a big bend in the rim along the edge, right where you'd put a pry bar to get a tire off. There's also a big scrape mark on the other side side of the rims lip. It'll be interesting to see how they take care of their boo boo tomorrow. Thanks for all the ideas btw everyone.

Kevin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts