The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a device that will allow me to record entire TV shows like TiVO?

I want to record a couple of the World Cup games (Soccer) and I have Comcast cable TV (analog). Comcast coax cable runs from phone pole in alley directly to the back of my TV (audio/video input) so there's no external cable box or anything.

I've try splitting the coax cable with one of those Audio/Video Y adapters.
One going to my tv and the other to my computer which has a TV tuner card. It works and I can record entire TV shows onto Hard Drive but TV tuner card is crapy so picture quality is barely watchable.

I want something like TiVO but I don't want to subscribe to their service (actually I really don't know how TiVO service works).

Thus, I'm looking for a off the shelf box that will allow me to record tv shows from my existing analog Comcast cable and not have to subscribe to any new service or vendor.

Many Thanks,

Beng

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Call up Comcast. I have a DVR as part of cable from them and it's $5 a month. Tivo subscription was $5.99 a month and you have to pay for the unit so it was about a wash and no hardware to buy.

Cheapest solution would be to get a VCR and manual program it to record your showtimes.

Some DVD recorders like pioneer come with tvguide that has no monthly fee for the schedule.

·
TCMAS Member
3,023 Posts
David Grigor said:
Call up Comcast. I have a DVR as part of cable from them and it's $5 a month. Tivo subscription was $5.99 a month and you have to pay for the unit so it was about a wash and no hardware to buy.
I think you would have to upgrade to digital cable to use the DVR.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I like the TIVO better than than cable DVR.

It does shows rather than time slots . so if the presidential debate is on at 7pm and my show is moved to after it the tivo knows and records at the right time. Also seems easier to use for people who are helpless and don't understand remote controls like my grandma : )

anyways , get one , it will change the way you watch TV forever. From that day on every time you sit down you will automatically have something on that you actually want to watch rather than flipping through 200 channels hoping to find something . Also cuts down on your TV watching because you fast forward through the commercials so an hour long show only takes 40 min to watch. I find it especially nice in the summer when I'm out doing stuff but i really want to watch this weeks 24 or lost but i don't want to leave the lake to do it. now i never have to worry it will always be there when i get home : )

If paying for cable tv is worth $50-$100 , this is certainly worth $5

only thing better than tivo is netflix, unlimited moves shipped in one to two days strait to your door, the return box is your mail box, they have every DVD known to man and there is never a late fee. All for as low as $9.99 a month. hard to beat that.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the informative infos.
Just did some additional readings and comparisons and I think TiVO is it.

Many Thanks,

Beng

·
Registered
110 Posts
TIVO for sure

TIVO is the way to go. We bought it in December before we spent 5 weeks in India during January this year, and it recorded all my faves like Lost, 24 and Desperate housewives and a ton of Mythbusters (my husband's pick).
It is very easy to use and worth the money. It does try to turn you into a couch potato because more and more shows record or you think of more to record.
We bought the extended subscription for a few years so the cost was cheap. Usually stores like Best Buy will have good deals on them.
Good luck.
TK

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
I had Tivo for a couple of years and when Ryan found the 16 month cable special we switched to the comcast DVR. I really didn't find any features that I had on the Tivo that the comcast DVR didn't. I haven't run across any programing switches like Ryan mentioned to know. Since at the same time we switched to HD, my existing Tivo wasn't able to handle HD recordings and a new HD Tivo gets expensive for the hardware. Also another nice feature is the the Comcast DVR has two tunners. My Tivo just had 1. So it can record 2 programs at once if there is a time conflict. My existing Tivo couldn't do that.

Also, a tidbit, when we went to cancel our $5.99 subscription for Tivo they did offer it to use even cheaper to keep it. However, we had already made the switch so it wouldn't have mattered. If you go with Tivo, I would call them after a few months and try to get the reduced rate.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here is my 2 cents for what it's worth. I have dish network. It comes with a DVR. I have have been able to record all my favorite shows like 24 also. I'd say it's a toss up between it and TiVo as to dollar value. I have a friend who has TiVo and he has somehow been able to record taped shows onto a DVD.
I don't know if that is something unique to TiVo or not.

·
Registered
384 Posts
you could just go to walmart and buy a DVD recorder, it records in real time onto DVD, just like a VHS, so you'll get commercials etc, you don't need digital or "service subscription" to use one

but if you only want it for world cup, you could always use it for a few weeks and return it...not very honest, but whatever

·
Anti-Acan Activist
2,579 Posts
FWIW I did the same deal as David and got 3 DVRs in the house and no one has had any problems like that either. To record something you ahve to select the show not the time slot. If a SOUA comes on or something it does not record it, it will only record the show. I have a few friends with TIVO and really it works identical IMO. It may have changed since you have had it Ryan... assuming you had it and had the issues you are talking about... but who knows...:D

·
TCMAS MEMBER
1,153 Posts
and I prefer my ReplayTV over TVIO :p

sorry ...

I love mine, I got 4 - I can view any show I recorded on any machine, real time streaming, no buffering and schedule my recordings over the internet - I missed 3 weeks' ago soproranos I had my buddy IVS the show over to me.

sad ReplayTV is no longer making machines, I'm trying to get a 5th backup machine. they're not that cheap dang nab it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts