The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Anti-Acan Activist
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is the scoop... In Oregon I saw our (my family and I) dream home. It was nothing massive but considerably larger than were we live now. Then I started crunching numbers and it seems we could afford to buy it out there... however there is no basement. I don't know if I could ever live without a basement :( Anyway we would like to see if we can afford to build it here with a basement but the builder out there is also local and said they won't bring the plans here to build it because the developments are so specific. I have a generlized copy of the plans but without the dimiensions. The only thing I know is the total square footage. I am going to see if I can get a copy of the blue prints somehow. After that is were I need help. Anyone know some home builders that are pretty affordable that can take the plans and build it? The only big catch I think is that we want to stay in Hugo. There are some general lots for sale that anyone can buy to build on. The dilema is will a builder buy the lot to build the house on for you so that you are not making any payments on anything until the house is completed and closed on???

·
Anti-Acan Activist
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
by the way we have checked all the plans that are out there for current building communities and cannot find one even close to what we want so I really have no choice but to use these plans and then maybe make slight modifications.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
there is what is called a cunstruction loan forthat kind of thing. go to a bank and talk to them about it. its designed to help home owners build houses when they already have a morgage.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I just built this fall and here is the absurd knowledge of what we learned.

Unless you are in good with the contractor, no they usually don't buy the lot for you. Most banks have construction loans that are setup so that you just take money for each process as it gets done. You will only have to pay a small amount through this process considering most builders can slam a house together in under 90 days.
The price of the house, not including the lot, is going to be about 100 to 150 dollars per finished square foot.
Any builder will have someone to work the prints backwards to get the dimensions for the plan. If the plans are copyrighted they will use it for "inspiration".
I am no expert, this is just what I dealt with when I built my place. Just make sure that if you plan to do any work yourself you leave plenty of time because the contractors don't want to wait for you to get their $$$$$$.

Good Luck and remember..the #1 reason for divorce is building a house...
...the #2 reason is Deja Vu

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I can save you money on the low volt wireing , A/V wireing, and any stone work, patios, sidewalks etc. many years experiance and I'll do it a hell of a lot cheaper than a contractor just to get my name out there. that and to help out a fellow reefer. i would do the construction loan and sub con the work you cant do IE electrical framming soundation etc. I know good masons, frammers and the like but no all in one builders that i know off hand are worth squat.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
IME builders will buy the lot for you. Ours did way back when. He said something about, "If I build a house it'll be on my lot, then you buy the whole thing." We bought a lot then made the deal on the house and they did the rest. I was able to do most of the work myself and basically paid for the General Contractor portion as I was working a ton of hours when we built and I felt the extra dollars for someone to organize everyone for me was worth it. If you have time, buy a book on building a house and be your own general. The book will fill you in on the order of construction. Drive around to area building sites and jot down the numbers of the various contractors you see. If they are working for home builders, chances are they are competent.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Thomas,

I'm a General contractor I specialize in remodels but have built houses as well. Additionally my wife and father are both bankers so I have a pretty good knowledge of the loan process. I've worked in all the major trades over the years as well. I guess what I am getting at is if you would like to talk I can give you some frank answers to what it would cost to build it and what it would take to do sweat equity. Send me a PM if interested and I shoot you my #

·
Registered
253 Posts
Being on the commercial end of contracting, I would seriously entertain both Mike and Chad's advise. Talk to Chad about costs and seriously consider being your own general. That is if you have the time to spend coordinating the subs and keeping an eye on the progress every day. If you find a competent group, they can work well together and save alot of headaches. You can save a fair amount of money doing the GC work and be able to put that back into the house by hiring quality subs. Don't skimp on finding the cheapest work either. I've been bitten by that both professionally and personally. I can refer you to some people if you need them. LMK

Brandon

·
Registered
825 Posts
The only problem I can forsee is getting a lot in Hugo that a builder doesn't already own. It seems the way these developments are going up is with a few builders and cookie cutter houses. I'm sure if you pay enough, any builder will build what you want.
Good luck.

·
Anti-Acan Activist
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There seems to be plenty of lots for sale in Hugp right now that anyone can build on.... just got to find someone to do it for the right price :)

Chad I am definatley interested in getting your words of wisdom and maybe even a bid :D

·
Anti-Acan Activist
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ZEKESTER said:
I own an exteriors buisness and I can help you save money there!
Hmmmm.... there is a thought.. maybe I can have the first TCMAS built home :) Any framers out there and excavaters and foundation building type peoples, etc.... I have a sheetrocker/mud/taper, any electricians, plumbers???? Roofers??? Hmmmm what I am missing?????

·
Registered
75 Posts
my brother is a builder he buys the lot then builds. im also a tile setter. Timberlind homes 7632637447- rob lind 612 978 3375 jamie lind

·
Bring it.
932 Posts
We do Excavation-Retaining walls and Demolition. We are a little busy right now but I can give you numbers for budgeting purposes on any of those services.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts