The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to go to Ely this weekend for a graduation party.... so while im up there i'm gonna fish the boundry waters!
What do you use to fish for walleye? Certain jigs they like? Live bait? I've never caught a walleye so I dont know what to use, but they sure do taste good.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Use Lindy Rigs while drifting with either nightcrawlers or leaches. Bounce the jig off the bottom. Be prepared to lose a lot of jigs so pack extra.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I like Lindys with Shinners, though I don't know if they will be an option. A hot pink jig with a Shinner is always good too. Good luck and we want pics if you do land any.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
leeches are simple to pack/carry in if you're portaging into the BW. walleyes will still be up shallow (<10ft) particularly in the early morning and evenings (low light). any lead head jigs will be effective. you might also try a simple split shot, floating jighead rig. with the heavy shot a couple feet up the line a floating jighead tipped with a leech is a deadly setup for eye and smallies up shallow. slip bobber rigs are also a versatile presentation. good luck, be careful and have fun!
tg

and leave no trace

·
Semi-retar...eh...retired
2,995 Posts
I was up in the area last weekend. We caught lots of 'eyes - all shallow (less than 12 feet of water, most around 6-8') using minnows (chubs) and leadhead jigs. They bit all day (it was windy), but TG is right that the low-light bite is typically the best. If you need to fish during the day, try the windy shorelines near developing weedbeds. The composition of the shoreline can often clue you in on what lies beneath...sandy or swampy shores often mean weeds - I prefer to look for sand because the weedlines are often a little deeper and cater more to walleyes (cabbage weeds). Rocks on shore usually means they continue into the water. If the weather stays warm, they're going to hit the summer patterns soon (deeper, more in the main lake structures).

BWCA smallies practically jump in the canoe...cast jigs with minnows or leeches in the rocky shallows and you can't miss. They'll also hit artificials, but not as readily IME. Beetle spins work well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts