The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
There is no kryptonite!
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a bunch of finger print door locks for homes on ebay and by doing google searches. Here is a link to an example
http://www.biometricsdirect.com/
These locks actually use your fingerprint, a code or a regular key to gain access, pretty cool!
I can get a couple of different kinds much like the ones I linked to for about $200 but I am a little leary about the quality. Has anyone had any experience with this type of product? ANY help is greatly appreciated like certain brands to stay away from, pros and cons about the specific type you have used etc. I want to put one of these on the new house in Kansas City, but can't find much for reviews on them!

·
There is no kryptonite!
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Irenicus said:
What made you want to get fingerprint locks? :)
Just the fact that it would be much quicker than digging the keys out of the pocket.

·
Too Busy Fishy
456 Posts
Better in KC than here.

I picture -20F... "Hey, my finger's stuck to the door lock!"

Or the battery giving out with no other way back in.

I had a mechanical push-button combo lock on the front door at the old house. Worked great.

Oh, I notice this on the web page you provided:
Operating Temperature 32°F - 113°F

The average temperature in KC: December 30.4
January 25.7
February 31.2

Maybe you can stay at a neighbor's place those months?

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Yeah it can get chilly down there. The temps in the winter when I lived in topeka got down in the single digits.....

·
There is no kryptonite!
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The exact units that I was looking at worked down to -13, so now worries there. And the actual operating temperatures usually refer to the power source which is in this case assumed to be alkaline batteries which do very poorly below freezing, this is easily fixed by using lithium batteries that work quite well in sub zero temps. Also the units I have seen say that there is a low battery warning and after the warning you still have multiple tries before the unit actually goes dead, and even if the unit goes dead, you still have a key on your key ring to open it manually.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Paul, we use them here to get into the High-Security areas of our plants (IT, Finance, etc...) They seem to work wel, however I do not know the brand we use. I will try to ask around.

·
No frags for you!
948 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Superman said:
Just the fact that it would be much quicker than digging the keys out of the pocket.

·
There is no kryptonite!
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess I would just like the ease of just walking up to the door with bags of live fish in hand and only have to stick my finger onto the scanning eye and be let into the house. I know it sounds lazy, but oh well.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
i understand completly. After you showed me those, I plan on doing the same thing.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Superman said:
I guess I would just like the ease of just walking up to the door with bags of live fish in hand and only have to stick my finger onto the scanning eye and be let into the house. I know it sounds lazy, but oh well.
That and the fact that it'd be really cool looking right? We have them at the hospital where I work on the narcotic cabinets and they seem to work just fine, we just have to be careful about what we use to clean them with. I couldn't tell you brand or anything though.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Superman said:
Nothing works better then a keyed dead bolt! If secutity is not an issue then that type of security is possible for you. I'm in law enforcement and I see all types of burglaries due to insufficient locks or impropertly installed locks. I know it may save some time and may be easy to use, but with a proper locking system security only takes a few seconds more. Sorry I wish I could of been more positive about them.

·
There is no kryptonite!
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
abigtroutt said:
Nothing works better then a keyed dead bolt! If secutity is not an issue then that type of security is possible for you. I'm in law enforcement and I see all types of burglaries due to insufficient locks or impropertly installed locks. I know it may save some time and may be easy to use, but with a proper locking system security only takes a few seconds more. Sorry I wish I could of been more positive about them.
Not looking for opinions on locks in general, but if you have used this type of lock before then I am very interested in your opinion.

Maybe this technology is just too new to get much for user feedback. Maybe I'll just have to wait and see if I can find some good reviews online in a year or so. For now we'll probably just stick with the key pad locks that you can find at Home Depot or Menards, they are still a cool option and still very convenient to use.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hey Superman, I have one of those keypad locks that you can get at menards for around $90. If you're going to go that route they're very convenient. Nice being able to give the electrician a code to get in the house and then change it that evening or just for one less key to carry around. (Hate waiting for someone to arrive ..between 8am and oh whenever..) On the bad side, if your door jamb moves with the humidity and the bolt slides harder the keypad lock may be more difficult. Of course that's probably because my house is older than dirt and shifts a lot. I've seen that on my old (1894) house a number of times. Also, on those below zero days it will still work fine. Just remember to replace the batteries every November/ December.. fresh cold batteries work much better that old cold batteries JMO

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Superman said:
Has anyone had any experience with this type of product?
I didn't mean to get on a soap box and I know opinions are like ***** holes everyones got one. I've seen them on homes and every one always told me they do work good and liked the locks. But I just wanted to let you know of another side of only having one locking system on the house. I just dont want anything to happen to you or your family.

·
There is no kryptonite!
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
abigtroutt said:
I didn't mean to get on a soap box and I know opinions are like ***** holes everyones got one. I've seen them on homes and every one always told me they do work good and liked the locks. But I just wanted to let you know of another side of only having one locking system on the house. I just dont want anything to happen to you or your family.
I see what you mean. I guess I have kinda given up on the biometric locks for now, just not enough user feedback available. Do you have any qualms with the keypad locks? Seems that there are some good lock companies that make them like Schlage, Yale, Masterlock etc so it seems like it would be just a matter of finding one with features that I like.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts