The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
TCMAS Member
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a good dehumidifier? I don't have an air echanger in my house and want to lower the humidity in a basement room where I have some brute containers and a 40 br.

I appreciate your input.

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
I use a maytag that I picked up at homedepot for around $70 last year IIRC. I have it in the basement and use it all summer long. It does the trick for me but I would bet there are better options out there.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
If you get one, be careful where you plug it in. The one I had was an electricity hog, and caused the breaker to trip if i had it on same circuit as the tanks.
:eek:

·
big fishy
941 Posts
We have one from Sears in our basement.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Not for sure how much water your tyring to pull out of the air but when I had the 325g tank up and running it averaged 6-8 gallons a day depending on the season. I had the largest standalone Whirlpool dehumidifier they carry and hooked up to a watt meter was using like 600w and would run continously 24/7 and never stop. You may actually be better off using running a chiller instead of fan cooling with a dehumidifier from a power consumption cost.

I really just see a dehumidfier as a band-aid and not a long term solution.

·
TCMAS Member
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There isn't a ton of water. A approx 40 gallon brute, a live rock curing bucket, and a 40 breeder.

·
TCMAS Member
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 40 is not covered. The brutes are pretty much covered with exception of a crack for pump cords to come out.

David Grigor said:
Are they covered or paritially covered ? That will probably make a significant difference alone....

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Remember de-humidifiers are rated in the PINTS not gallons. Just a note of caution.

Oh, and don't forget you owe me a pizza :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts