The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Hooked on H20
525 Posts
oyam123 said:
Got home and then I see this......poor little guy:bawling:
Have you seen your cichlids holding a clutch in their mouth yet?
It is quite a site to see a fish with 50-60 fry in their mouth!!!

The first time I stripped eggs from my cichlids I could not believe how many they hold in their mouths. I mostly let nature have it's way these days, but man it was fun watching all those fry grow out.

Chris

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Chris,

Does this look like the electric blues you offered me/my daughter? This is a nice looking fish!

My daughter gave the OK to keep electric blues in the new tank, but is looking like she will pass on the frontosa (mostly due to space issues in the tank...there are other species that interest her more).

Did you also have yellow labs? If you have any females to spare, that would be cool (we have two lonely males right now).

Hope to have the tank ready for fish within a month. Thanks for your patience!

·
Hooked on H20
525 Posts
capman said:
Chris,

Does this look like the electric blues you offered me/my daughter? This is a nice looking fish!

My daughter gave the OK to keep electric blues in the new tank, but is looking like she will pass on the frontosa (mostly due to space issues in the tank...there are other species that interest her more).

Did you also have yellow labs? If you have any females to spare, that would be cool (we have two lonely males right now).

Hope to have the tank ready for fish within a month. Thanks for your patience!
Yes I have some some blues just like these...(Sciaenochromis fryeri). I have an sub-adult male I can spare(if I can catch him) and a half dozen 1-1/2"-2-1/2" unsexed fry. I have some yellow labs that are the same size and unsexed as well as some OB colored fry(forget species right now).

The fry are ready when you are. I'll try to catch a male blue for you too.

Chris

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
goetzc said:
Yes I have some some blues just like these...(Sciaenochromis fryeri). I have an sub-adult male I can spare(if I can catch him) and a half dozen 1-1/2"-2-1/2" unsexed fry. I have some yellow labs that are the same size and unsexed as well as some OB colored fry(forget species right now).

The fry are ready when you are. I'll try to catch a male blue for you too.

Chris
chris if you ever have some frontosa you want to part with let me know.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Depending on what kind of cichlids you are referring to makes a difference. If they are african cichlids, particularly those from Lake Malawi and the scales aren't sticking out making it look like a pine cone, it is very possibly bloat. Does the cichlid have white stringy poop? If the scales are sticking out, making it look like a pine cone, it is dropsy.

Many african cichlids are herbivores and prone to bloat if you are feeding them food that is too high in protein, such as blood worms and the like.

·
Whats with the labels?
456 Posts
cichlids are fun, they were first fish i had...very interesting

they have a forum dedicated to them too... :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts