The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gruff But Lovable Reefer
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am ready to order a return pump for my new 180. i have a 75 gal tank for my sump. i will use a submersible return pump. i am thinking mag 12 or mag 18? comments please!!
also i am ordering a couple or three powerheads for circulation. seio1100's or larger?
also i am going to add either a wavemaster pro or the reefkeeper i see on the digital aquatics sites here.
also heaters. brands and wattages hints. i am figuring two 300 w. comments?

my next thread will about cls's. be ready!!

please all chime in!!

ANGRY GARY

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
IMO, the return pump gph should be determined by the processing ability of the skimmer. What skimer and skimmer pump do you have? Two 300 watt heaters would be fine, I like titanium heaters. If you are going to do a CLS, dont bother with the Seio's. The CLS should handle all the added flow so you donbt need a bunch of Power Heads in the tank.

Robert

·
Gruff But Lovable Reefer
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am ordering a asm-g4x skimmer this week with the 9000 sedra pump. i am wondering how the overflows draw. it is a perfecto with the two built in overflows.
thanks for titanium heater input too!
and i do not have a hole drilled for the cls. can i run it over the top of the tank or should i use one of the return holes in an overflow?

AG

·
11,345 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Dont use the return. You can absolutely run it over the back! In that case it is best to keep the pump as close to the tank as possible so there isnt as much work to be done in order to get the water out of and in to the tank. You will also have to have a priming port built in so you can get it started. No big deal. I would recoment however that for a tank that size you consider drilling as it will make it much easier to build and much mroe efficient.

Robert

·
Gruff But Lovable Reefer
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okay then, 2 250 watt titanium heaters.

i can do a closed loop from over the top of the tank if needed. now the perfecto tank i am getting has the built in overflow so then it isn't tempered glass and can be drilled...okay then if i go this route, which i would prefer, what diameter holes should i have drilled to fit what size bulkhead? 3\4 bulkhead sufficient or should i go 1 inch,(i know bigger is better for flow and volume but what size pump would i need which can use a 1 inch piping.) i really wasn't counting on this extra expense so i need suggestions that are price conscious and yet practical.

angry gary

·
Registered
163 Posts
i have a 180 and am using a mag24 for the return, gen-x 55 on the mr-3 skimmer and a sequence dart for my cls. this combo is working great for me!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts