1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Reef Geek
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
52 Posts
$800 bucks!?!? I use the 48 inch model. Paid less than $200. Bought online from Amazon. I like the light. May need something a little more bright if you have a deep tank or plan to keep certain types of coral.
He's talking about the pro model, which is newer and covers a wider spectrum. I have an Orbit Marine (not pro) as well, and it is a very nice light for the price. (~100 for the 24 inch fixture) The fact that it comes set up with it's own timer means that it's very plug-and-play, so it was good for me to start out with. There's a set of charts on their website that shows a decent amount of specs on the lights capabilities.

There is not a 72 inch model in the non-pro lineup, so I have a feeling that would factor into your decision as well. :rolleyes:

I'm sure the lighting buffs around here will chime in as well, telling you to stick with radions and kessils. 800 dollars is a lot of money.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I'll be honest I really like how programmable they are. And I really like the cloud and storm feature. But at the same time I'd like to have the option open for SPS in the furture.
To be honest, the cloud and storm feature gets old fast. How often are you going to sit there and press a button to flick the lights on and off. It's really not that impressive and does absolutely nothing for your fish and corals.

The best part of programmable lights are the ability to mimic a sunrise/sunset scheme throughout the day and there are other options for this.

Also, the light you linked to in your first post is not the correct light. That is not the pro version. Just in case people are looking at it thinking that is what you are looking at, it isn't.

This is the Pro version:
http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-lights/orbit-marine-fixtures/orbit-marine-pro/

·
The Fang Blenny
1,092 Posts
I can't say anything about the Pro series beyond that IIRC they have optics and 3w LEDs, I've only had the original Orbit fixtures. For $800, I would look into Reef Breeder Photons. They are linkable and also have sunrise/sunset ramping, programmable to single percentage points. 2 year warranty as well. There are a few videos online demonstrating their PAR values and there is no doubting their capabilities to sustain SPS. Yesterday, I saw a few hydnophora frags from a Photon tank that glowed neon green.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I can't say anything about the Pro series beyond that IIRC they have optics and 3w LEDs, I've only had the original Orbit fixtures. For $800, I would look into Reef Breeder Photons. They are linkable and also have sunrise/sunset ramping, programmable to single percentage points. 2 year warranty as well. There are a few videos online demonstrating their PAR values and there is no doubting their capabilities to sustain SPS. Yesterday, I saw a few hydnophora frags from a Photon tank that glowed neon green.
Not sure how the pro series can be 3W LEDs. According to their page, the 72" model has 176 LEDs but is only a 100W fixture.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am in a similar decision mode. I have my 180 cycling and need to order my lights. I am leaning towards the dual 72" Marine Pro's myself because I only have a 5"-7" clearance inside the cover. It's pricey at $1500 bucks but the recommended ECO's (4 of them) work out to that or more. Once concern I have: I have had a 48" non pro Orbit Marine on my soon to be decommissioned 55g and it has started acting up lately. Even after resetting to default settings the lights will go out per the program at say 9pm, then I'll get up in the middle of the night for whatever and the blue lights will be on again at midnight. Or it just doesnt shut off from its moonlight cycle. I have had multiple discussions with Current and after much chasing around that perhaps there is RF interface on the controller, they are sending me a new controller under warranty. Its also not the most pleasant thing to program outside of the default settings / modes....

·
Registered
359 Posts
Not sure how the pro series can be 3W LEDs. According to their page, the 72" model has 176 LEDs but is only a 100W fixture.
I have this fixture and they are NOT 3w LED. I supplemented with 2 48 inch T5's. One in front and one in back and I love it. Even tho they are not 3w LED's, they can still burn your corals. Don't just assume they are weak. Overall I'm very happy with them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts