The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
good evening everyone... i have a55 gallon reef aquarium and today i am the new lucky owner of two orange spotted filefish and i would like your advice... any info on this fish will be helpful... i also have a flame Angel, a clownish, a blue tang (whisk i'm thinking about giving back), a cleaner shrimp and some snails and crabs... please and thank you!!!

·
Veteran Newbie
3,799 Posts
They only feed on live coral...

The orangespot filefish can be weaned onto a captive diet consisting of frozen foods for omnivores, frozen enriched adult brine shrimp, frozen Mysis shrimp, flake and pellet food. Keep in mind what Matt Pedersen wrote in his groundbreaking article on orangespotted filefish in the March / April issue of CORAL Magazine: "Live coral is your insurance policy and safety net.... You must continue to offer live coral until the fish no longer needs it."
Please read this article before proceeding

·
Aquatic Beginner
1,427 Posts
According to bluezoo

Other Common NamesHarlequin Filefish, Longnose filefish, Beaked LeatherjacketDescriptionThis beautiful fish is all too frequently purchased based on its looks alone without any thought as to its long-term husbandry. An obligatory corallivore in the wild, the orangespotted filefish is a highly selective feeder that only identifies live coral as appropriate foodstuff. It has now been proven that the orangespotted filefish can survive and thrive on a captive diet not inlude live coral flesh, but weaning a wild-caught fish onto that captive diet can test the patience of even the most dedicated advanced aquarist. This is why Blue Zoo Aquatics offers the*Orangespotted Filefish Starter Pack, which includes one orangespotted filefish and one live, browned-out*Acroporafrag. It also includes a screening call from the husbandry staff at Blue Zoo to the potential buyer in order to insure that the aquarist is prepared to maximize the chances of successfully keeping this amazing marine aquarium fish. Anyone considering this fish should be sure to read Matt Pedersen's article "A New Future for the Harlequin Filefish" in the March / April 2009 issue of*CORAL*Magazine.DietThe orangespot filefish can be weaned onto a captive diet consisting of frozen foods for omnivores, frozen enriched adult brine shrimp, frozen Mysis shrimp, flake and pellet food. Keep in mind what Matt Pedersen wrote in his groundbreaking article on orangespotted filefish in the March / April issue ofCORAL*Magazine: "Live coral is your insurance policy and safety net.... You must continue to offer live coral until the fish no longer needs it." Be sure to read his article for a full description of weaning this fish onto a captive diet

be very careful you have a terriorial fish like a flame angel in a tank thats a little smaller then it need and the clowns will take territory as well and filefish are not good with aggression.

also I wouldnt just think about rehoming the blue tang I would do it soon. They require a 180 gals tank preferably 6 feet or longer. And can swim 10s of miles but doing laps around the tank and in a 55 they will get stressed. And they can grow 1 or more inchs a month.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i don't think they are gonna make the cut i'm gonna return it tomorrow and get this amazing coral... trial and error... next time i'm def gonna reconsider they were just two good two be true... they were beautiful but i love the coral more so out they go... i tried to feed them frozen shrimp cubes and pellet food... no luck i wouldn't mind training them if someone could help me out but if they are gonna stay nipping out they go...

·
Veteran Newbie
3,799 Posts
They will always nip at corals, that's their natural food. You could probably train them to eat frozen but that solves the problem of them eating, not them not eating your corals... if that made any sense at all

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
unfortunately it made total sense... the weird thing is they were only nipping at my stony coral... i have about 5 soft corals and one stony coral and that's the only thing they bothered? do you think that if i only keep soft coral they won't bother it... i am still gonna return it though... if i got a tank today and set it up for them do you think i can put then in a new tank or do i have to wait a whole month or so for it to cycle??? cuz they were mates and that would be amazing to have babies...

·
Veteran Newbie
3,799 Posts
I don't know about that, but BlueZoo says they give you a piece of acropora for them to eat so I'm assuming that is their preference. You could set up a new tank, but if you want to have rock/sand, it'd need to cycle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts