The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK was staring at my tank last night as usual. I finally yanked most of my frags out of the display tank and transported them to the new frag tank.
Was checking things oout in the display tank, I noticed a pair of yellow-orange arms coming from under one of my leather frags. Grabbed it and stuck it in the 10g frag tank so as not to loose track of it.
Will try to see if it is therre tonight and snap some pix. Could this be some rare yellow/orange serpent? Did a bunch of searching on the net today and don't see anything remotely close to the color/shape.
Legs don't look like a linka or brittle....Help?

·
Registered
773 Posts
could it just have been a bristtle worm?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gonna take a good hard look at it either way tonight. But from what I saw of the legs they were long (3/8") like hair thickness at the tip and about double that where it went under the coral frag.
Will see if I can get a super macro pic tonight of it. Hopefully it's still there...lol
I know my display tank has LOTS of serpents, mostly white with black rings....just never seen or hear of one this coloration.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE
Just got an email from the wife and she says it is still on the frag. Picked up a magnifying glass so as to get a better look see. Will try to take a pic of it whe I get home in about an hour or so.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, if someone knows how to post a pic as it won't let me. The pix are in my album "new" as serpent 1 & 2, not 2 specimens but 2 pix...lol
Looks like a brittle star under super macro

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts

With that many "arms" it looks like a miniature sun star...except they are "smooth"...this appears to have "bristles".

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That picture is misleading, I have counted the arms in numerous pix and there are only 5

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just re-read my last statement, wrong, actually 6 total.
Kept counting them as I wondered if it was a sea spider

·
REEFer In Progress
1,423 Posts
I am confused lol, am I supposed to re-read your last statment? (not trying to be rude or nething)...

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Not a sea spider. they look basically like the jumping spiders you see on walls. Alot of the time you will find them in with zoo's and they basically blend in with them..... and there is always more then one.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I always go by the philosophy if you don't know what it is and you didn't put it in there then it needs to be removed.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well and see that is one of my favorite parts of a reef tank is looking in there today and see what is new. Hence the term "ever changing reef" I love finding new stuff in the tank, just make sure it is a good change...lol

·
Registered
773 Posts
looks like a serpent to me as well, but i did some searching as well and found nothing that looks close to that.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I am confused lol, am I supposed to re-read your last statment? (not trying to be rude or nething)...

Zach - I think he was saying that he re-read (re-red) his post, not for you to re-read (re-reed) it.

Did that make sense??!!! :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts