The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Varies from coral to coral, but I keep mine right about 1.025. And yes a refractometer is the most accurate way to know the salinity, just make sure it's properly calibrated about every 3 months.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats good, all i need to do is add a gallon of freshwater a week because the rest evaporates off, my salinity always stays around 1.025.
one last question, what would be a better addition?
a yellow watchman goby or a yellow tang, and which would be easier to keep because im going to buy one of these when i go to my lfs tommorrow

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
I have had both these yellow beauties. The goby will be fine after it gets comfortable. Mine was very very shy and was chased rather nastily by our yellow tang. I eventually moved the goby to another tank, but he didn't make it long.
If I had the YG first, the YT would not have been so aggressive, methinks.

Tangs have there own special needs and sesitivies. They are great swimmers and need lots of horizontal space.....many say 4 feet is not enough, but our tangs are doing great @ three years and counting in 4 foot tanks. Ick is always a concern when stressing these fish during catch and shipping. If you're buying locally, ask what the policy is for return or death on your purchases.

Have fun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts