The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

I have just learned of an incredible deal on 2 tanks.

To cut to the chase, both of the tanks have been used by a guy who had a freshwater setup and did treat with copper, malachite green, and formaldahyde.

This person is leaving town tomorrow so I'm looking for some opinions on whether this would be a smart thing to do (buy one of them and use for my reef setup).

Gut feeling tells me no.

I've been searching the archives on the topic but time is running out so I wanted to put a new thread out there and hope for anyone who knows YES or NO on this issue.

Again, 1 is glass and the other is acryllic (sp?).

Thanks in advance,
This forum is very helpful.

Mike

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
If you are planning reefs, definitely not.

Now if you were looking for a FO tank that you weren't going to put much LR into, that might be an option. (Jay is going to have a very nice FO in his copper-contaminated setup so it's quite possible.)

Personally, if you're like me, all the tanks eventually become reef, so I'd pass unless it was an incredible deal.

Danielle

·
Administrator
47,636 Posts
If its really cheap and you want an aggresive swim tank or the like go ior it but no reef, copper is murder on inverts

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
my 55 was treated with copper 7 years ago.it's doing great as an FO, but......

19 of 20 snails died within a week.
green emerald died within two weeks
anthellia colony died within 3 days
anemone died within 4 days.

we tested for copper at the lfs, and the copper levels were HIGHER than what they should be if i was actually treating for ich! after 7 years, the copper is so high in the seals ,it was unreal.

here's a before an after photo. anemone was puchased on friday, anthellia was purchased on saturday. after shots were taken on monday afternoon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts