The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have seen 2 red/orange brisslte worms in my 55g today that i have never seen before ... have read they are good and also that they are bad ... what do you guys think?

· Premium Member
9,460 Posts
9 times out of 10 a bristleworm is a good thing to have. there are a few baddies but you need a headshot to positively ID them one way or another. I wouldn't lose any sleep over a small one.

· Premium Member
9,460 Posts
I can't tell head from tail in that picture. They generally have to be a decent size before you can tell very easily. I would have to look up the head structures to tell anyway. I have never had a detrimental bristleworm myself but they are in nearly every tank I have ever heard of and I could count on my fingers how many stories I have heard of bad ones.:D If we pulled out every bristle we saw for ID it might get pretty tedious.

· Banggai Mommy
2,637 Posts
They're good. Scavengers, mostly. As mentioned, there are a few rare kinds that can be bad, but generally, our run-of-the-mills pink/blue guys are good.

I figure, if someone is marketing them (and has managed to stay in business as long as these guys: www.ipsf.com), I'll keep mine.

(That was a blast from the past... I haven't ordered from them in, golly, 5 years? Longer? Good biodiversity company, though. I could barely remember their name)

· spaceman spiff
15,672 Posts
beneficial detrivores, I'd bump Jeremy's number up to more like 999 out of 1000 are of no concern in a tank. some folks are pretty sensitive to physical contact with them, though, so they tend to get a bit more of a bad reputation as a result.

· Quo vadis, Domini.
564 Posts
Good ,although I'd probably have to change my pants if I found one of those 3 foot suckers. :rotflmao:

· Carpe Noctem
17,077 Posts
opinions on brisslte worms?
Ugly and really boring in a species only tank!

Seriously they are a beneficial part of the cleanup crew. My wrasse and coral beauty keep my display to the point that I rarely see them, but my fuge has thousands.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.