The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I ordered T5's for my 60g tank. They are 8x54w. Now, they are a little big for my canopy so it will involve some modifying, which will be a semi-pain in the rear and it will be cutting it close.
I just found out they carry 6x54w and they'll fit easily. I would like to keep an anemone and maybe a clam or two.

What should I do? 8 bulbs with a hassle of modifying the canopy or 6 bulbs plug and play? It's suppose to be shipped today, so I have to call by 9am PST.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm getting the set from aquauniverse.com...I know it's a risk but I've only heard people say they have "heard bad reviews" and then I've heard of people that actually had them that liked them.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I just called them to downgrade to the 6*54w and they said it should arrive today. Too late.

Can you have too much light?

·
Registered
107 Posts
you can always send it back.. In this hobby with the cost of things why use something your not happy with and have to modify it to make it fit right. JMO>.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
seaham358 said:
you can always send it back.. In this hobby with the cost of things why use something your not happy with and have to modify it to make it fit right. JMO>.
True, but there's a $50 difference in price, shipping would be $40 each way. I'll just remove a couple bulbs if need be. I guess it depends on how it's wired.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ranran said:
Is there indivadial controls for the lamps just dont fire up all 8.
There I go making things more difficult than necessary. It does have 3 separate cords. Thanks!

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,652 Posts
Oh, never mind. I just took a look at the fixture, one big reflector, expect about half of the PAR I am getting per bulb, you will need all 8 to keep anything you want. I did some LUX readings on fixtures like this, and I was not impressed, but with all 8 bulbs the readings were good enough. Weatherman bought something like it too, but 4 bulbs and his PAR meter showed that the light was lacking, good enough for atinic supps though, which is what he got them for.

http://www.aquauniverse.com/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,1060/category_id,51/option,com_phpshop/Itemid,31/

Definitally use all 8, with all of them running you should have about the same light levels I did, and you should be able to keep just about anything.
Whiskey

(edited by Whiskey, first wording came off the wrong way)

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
tsoperator said:
I think it's 18". I believe that's a standard 60g.
i just wanted to make sure you two were comperable in depth. if Whiskey is doing it than you should be able to also, as long as the tanks are the same depth or less.

G~

1 - 20 of 27 Posts