The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't decide, due to my newbyness to corals, what to go with for lighting. I have a 65 gallon and I would like to hear some experience on MH's. Would one 250w with 2 96w VHO's be adequate for most corals. If this is the case all I would need is the MH setup. With a tank that deep would 175w be good enough to have SPS, if I kept them to the top part of the tank.

I have never used MH's in the past and don't know how they flood. Is one bulb enough or do I need two. I have looked around and haven't seen anyone really say you should put a bulb every X number of inches.

Any help is very appreciated.:help:

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
you could probably get away with 1 250w... it depends on alot of things... just because the tank is 24 inches tall does not mean you need intense lighting at the bottom of the tank... unless you plan on having high light creatures such as sps or clams down near the bottom. It also depends on the efficiency of the reflector for the mh. I have read that the best light dispursement is like 1 bulb every 2 feet of length... although I dont know if I believe that. The most important question as to wheather you should go with one or two is do you have a center brace?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I was under the impression you need one metal halide bulb for every two feet. In your case I am assuming the tank is 3 feet long. Tough call....! I would go with one and just place the corals that need more light closer to the middle of the tank.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I do have a center brace. I don't think I will have any sps or clams near the bottom for quite some time. I found a sweet deal on some 175w metal halide pendants for a garage, about $40 shipped. I wonder if those would work with different bulbs?

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
I can't decide, due to my newbyness .......sweet deal on some 175w metal halide pendants for a garage, about $40 shipped. I wonder if those would work with different bulbs?:confused: I dont think so....

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
I would definitley go with 2 if you have a center brace... keep an eye out on reefcentrals drygoods section, there are usually some used mh being sold...

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
If your really going to get into SPS 175W will not be intense enough for some of the high light loving ones. However, there is a new Iwasaki 14k bulb that have been out for about 6 months that has been shown to produce as much light as 250wers. Sounds promising but personally, I wouldn't do 175w if your really planning to get into Acroporas.

Like others mentioned 1 over a 65g placed in the center is not a good option. When looking at the tank slightly off you can't really see the shadow however looking at the tank straight on, it's quiet obvious and would drive me nuts. For a single halide, 58g tank is the better choice.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Any chance I can convince you to go with a 4 foot tank?
The cost for 3' stuff is about the cost of 4' stuff. The space is larger... well I could go on.
The tank is the cheepest part.
4' is a good length, wider is better and depth seems to be preferental.

Maybe you are past thist decision point... ignore this if so. I'd get t-5 supplemental...JIMO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts