The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in starting a basic reef tank set up in my office. Looking to keep some damsels, clownfish, wrasses etc.. along with possibility of an anenome and some soft corals/polyps. I have been looking at the 25gal current solana with either halide or CF pendant(also sold as the ecocube from drs foster I beleive), a 34 gal current solana, nanocube cf-quad, or a tank I put together myself.
Does anyone have these tanks and can give impressions about quality, overheating, noise level (will be in the room with clients), and ease of care. I have been leaning toward the solana tanks partially because of the top off system but don't know how effective this actually is.
Thank you and all responses woud be appreciated.
LBE

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
if you going to be keeping a nem i recommend metal halide or T5 HO lighting(with indivisual reflectors)..-drew

·
I <3 Fishies
1,271 Posts
Imo a 29 is quite small for a anemone...especially due to the wanting to keep corals and additional fish. I recommend going with a standard reef (w/ not nem) Fish wise go with some chromis or cardinals...reason stating damsels are mean cool looking but mean. Another option is to go with a nem and clown only tank. Get some lr 2 clowns and a nem of chocie for hosting. That will allow a colorful display of wiggling tenticles. And reason i stated tank is not suited for a nem + corals and other fish is because most nem grow huge. And due to the extension that they display they will stink your corals and possibly eat you fish.

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
My wife's tank is a Current Cardiff...same as the Solana but with curved glass...we are both very happy with it and it's dead quiet unless the water level gets too low...it's in our office between two desks and I'm all of about 2 feet away...I can't hear any noise from it at all...we gave up on the skimmer and pulled most of the bioballs ect. that came with it and just do regular water changes...she went with the CF fixture because it was priced to move at the LFS and that's what it had with it...unless you want high light animals it works very well.

Not the most recent pic, but you get the idea:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with that Cardiff set up with the PC lights as above? What success have you had with any corals? Trying to decide between that and a MH.
thanks,
Todd

·
Premium Member
10,751 Posts
I have 2 of the 34g Solanas and have been very happy with them. The top-off is really pretty useless. It is just easier to top off with a buck than to constantly fill the auto top off containers.

You can see both of my systems in the links in my signature.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts