The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering your guys opinion was?

Putting multiple clowns in a tank as long as they are different colors, and does it make a difference if their male/female?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
75 gal

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Define "multiple"? :D

In general I recommend only one species per tank, unless it's a very large tank. Example, I've got a customer who has a pair of false percs and 2 cinnamons (they aren't a "pair" just yet...) in her 180. Each species keeps to its own side of the tank.

Juveniles of different species might get along in the beginning, but as they mature/pair, they might not get along anymore.

I personally wouldn't do it in a 75 - knowning what I know now, but back in the day, I had 2 tomatoes and a false perc in a 30, and they managed. The perc spent most of its time near the top...

Jenn

·
Administrator
47,678 Posts
Diffent species "Might" coexist if they can establish their own turf.
Clowns are all male and in a group the biggest one will turn female and usually tho not always tolerate a smaller male.
Add a third and one will be excluded and usually harrased often to the death:(
2 pairs in a 75 would prolly be interesting but not neccessarily to the fishes best interests

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've just set my tank up again about 2mths ago, b-c I had to store it and all my rock b-c I moved to VA. Right now I have about 100lbs of live rock, I seeded it with about 12-15lbs of Fiji Rock, last week I bought a Perc Clown, yesterday I bought a black&white stripped Damnsel and another clown, all 3 seem to be doing great playing together, I'm just wondering b-c I've been in many of fish stores and seen tanks with 10 or 20 Clowns in it and they all seem to get along, any advice, or should I sit by and see how they react to each other?

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
You'll probably rue the day you bought the Dam*sel....

10 -20 clowns are usually juveniles, and they aren't there for the long term - a few weeks at best usually. The only ones I tend to tank in more than a pair are orange or pink skunks, because they are the most sociable of all the clowns IME. Sooner or later one will become the leader of the pack, and start henpecking the rest.

LFS tanks are NOT a good example of "typical" husbandry - most are stocked at a density that would not be conducive to long term health - and I'm a store owner - :D Typically store tanks are plumbed together on a central system, so a "small" tank might actually be part of a huge water volume, which makes putting more fishes in less space feasible, without over-taxing the biological filter on "one" tank.

HTH

Jenn

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I checked to Damnsel out for quiet sometime, I've had them in the past and regreted it, but this seemed small and well behaved, But my luck with this new lighting system that I have, he'll probably grow to be really big and raise havoc on my tank..
Saltwater tanks are so iffy......sometimes something works and then the next time it doesn't, that's why I love it so much, you never get bored, you constantly learning......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts