The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so you walk into your LFS. Right away you spy that fish you have been looking for forever. He/She is still in its shipping bag floating in the tank. The store has no guarantee on saltwater fish. They will hold a fish for a week for you. Do you buy the fish now and take him home or do you let them unbag him, put him in their tank, and pick him up in a week?

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
let them hold it a week. Even then you should qt it. I got a beautiful royal gamma that had been at lfs 2 weeks. Looked fine at lfs I qt it a week and everything seem fine so added to main tank. Bad idea. He had brooklynella and I had to pull the tank apart to get him out. Now I will qt all my fish at least a month. Tearing the tank apart stressed all my corals and I won't risk it again.

·
Reef Nut
1,254 Posts
IMO wait for the week on hold and make sure it's eating before you take it home. (Particularly if it's expensive!) It probably won't survive at home if it doesn't survive at the LFS anyway. It takes a few days for the stress of the capture and move to show on the fish so they may look fine day 1 but much worse 3 or 4 days later. If it's eating at the LFS you should have a good chance of survival.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yah I always qt. I was curious if it would be less stressful for the fish to be acclimated twice so quickly. Also the LFS's system isn't the cleanest by no means.

·
Registered
363 Posts
If you have a quarintine tank of your own, I'd buy it and take it home and quaritine it in your own tank, that way it won't have the stress of being in their tank then going to yours in a week. Plus, if you have it at home, you can watch the fish closely and have a better chance of diagnosing and fixing a problem. Besides, they don't offer a guarentee anyways..

·
Registered
363 Posts
titanfan said:
Also the LFS's system isn't the cleanest by no means.
Then definitely take it home to your QT tank, I'm betting the stress of being acclimated twice in a week, once to a dirty tank after being shipped, would do it more harm than good.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Yes, its too much change for the fish. If you take it home then, it doesent have to go through some extra acclamations. Take it then. But be sure to qt for a week or two.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Cylenchar said:
Then definitely take it home to your QT tank, I'm betting the stress of being acclimated twice in a week, once to a dirty tank after being shipped, would do it more harm than good.

I agree with this statement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts