The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got one of these yestarday and I acclimated for 2 hour, and placed in my sand bed. I noticed couple hours later that it was expelling some kind of clear strings of some sort. The OB was under 1 250 MH and thats it. Now OB is under 2 x 150 HQi and 2 x 130 dual actinics. Also are all OB supposed to be dark at the base and green or whatever colour highlights? Because mine is pretty white/tan at the base, but good green flourescent colouring.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
l get a pic to you tonight, when i get home. Thanks for the reply :)

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
do these type of coral "slime" when stressed, my candy cane kinda does. just wondering if some slime could come off and look that way.

·
Noo Doot Aboot It!
2,768 Posts
It looks extremely bleached out to me. This means that it was not under enough light or in poor water conditions, and has expelled its symbiotic zooxanthellae. It should come around in a couple of weeks. The stringy stuff in the second pic is just slime that they give off if you move them. HTH

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No kidding..... I got this from a guy who just got a new job and has apparently been neglecting his tank already. But thats okay only cost me 10 bucks. I'll take good care of it, and keep ya'll updated on the progress.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When you dose with phytoplankton should you always spot feed? I used to just use the recommended dose and dump it in. Is it possible that it doesn't get all used up and can turn into excess nutrients in your tank?
Should you shut of the skimmer while using this product as well?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also this morning he was pretty shrivelled up and it looked like the middle was a bit poofed out, more than normal. Do OB expand and contract alot with the photo period? Or is it dying still?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry hah 1 more question then I will shut up. Are the tentacles you see in the picture; which are only like 1/8th" long right now, supposed to be longer? Or does it depend on the exact coral you have?

·
Ô¿Ô
834 Posts
Thats what forum is for, :) , those are about right size, you will see when he get a nice mouthful of food he will close and those tentacles will catch all the food so they dont leave his mouth. Very cool to watch. Just give him some time, and if you can shut off your pumps and give him a small shot of cyclopeeze or Reef chilli / reef roids if you got it. If hes not interested wait a week and try again. Took mine about 2 weeks from where yours is till he started to eat again.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very cool!! i will do try to feed him soon and see what heppens. I have seen other OB like mine but there almost black in colour! Is that what they are supposed to look like?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts