The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I tried feeding my open brain and plate coral for the first time tonight. I turned off all pumps and used a turkey baster full of stuff.

I could see the plate coral grab the food and move it to the mouth. By the way, it's mouth area is really bumped up now after the feeding. The brain is a different story.

I waited until I could see some tenticles out and then sprayed the coral with the baster. It seemed like it just closed back up and I don't think it took anything. :confused:

I guess it still looks healthy, it puffs up during the day. The center doesn't seem to be all that puffy, should it be? The edges seem to puff up like 2x the size of when it's closed. Any help would be great!

Brian

·
11,345 Posts
Usually if there tentacles are out they will grab stuff and you can watch them do their thing. Try offering him something else, something simple like brine shimp or something. The edges when they are happy can puff up as high or higher than they are wide.
Do you have him on the substrate?? Open brains prefer it that way. Putting them in the rocks can stress them out.

·
Registered
245 Posts
i just feed mine when i see his tenticles out when im feeding my tank
this pic is early in the morning he dubbles in size from what u see in the pic and has a good number of tenticles out
he gets around 8 inch across and 4 to 5 inch high on a good day

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure if it's happy really. Mine is on the substrate and will expand itself out rather then up. I'm not sure if that makes sense.
I saw the tenticles out this morning and tried again. It didn't seem to take anything when I tried it. I'm not seeing such and open mouth like in the above picture. It's probably in moderate flow.

Please help....

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
You just got it a few days a go, right?
I would not be too worried about it, I never had one but a lot of coral take a few days to get used to your tank, new lights, flow, water and all that stuff so it may not "eat" for a while. I also hope he is just getting what he needs from the water colum.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How would I know if it's not happy with the waterflow it's getting? Wish it could tell me :)

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
mine would only extend its tentacles at night in pitch black darkness
after i shut the lights off and made the room very dark id sneak in an hour later with a flashlight that was very dim (running out of batteries)
i then would feed it brine through an eye dropper, it would close up and work the brine towards its mouth. very fun to watch :funny:
it would try and eat anything i squirted at it, including flakes and mysis, but just cause it closes and tries to eat doesnt mean its actually swallowing what is offered. i found mine couldnt get down the mysis, it was too large to swallow. so sometimes people think they are feeding and the brains can actually starve to death because they are offered too big a food source

·
11,345 Posts
pastina said:
later with a flashlight that was very dim (running out of batteries)
For late night viewing either use a red LED or what works even better is to take a small mag light and cover the end with red cellophane. It doesnt spook everything nearly as much as even a dim white light, and you can watch many things you wont ever be able to see for more than a split second with a white light.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts