The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted in another thread but hadn't heard anything. My open brain(3 days new) is loosing tissue. Now at night it opens and swells nicely but lights come on and it withdraws to the points its skeleton is pushing thru. I was told that with only 64 watts pc lighting he did not need to be shaded but seems with him reacting to the lights coming on this way he doesn't like the lighting. He came from a deep tank with mh lights but he wasn't in direct light in the store. If I move him into a shaded area will the tissue grow back?

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't test for that. I know the lfs tested them when I bought the brain(didnt give exact number but said numbers were great) All of the other corals are great btw. The brain only retracts like this when lights come on. I don't add anything to my tank just do 15% waterchange weekly. Increased waterchanges because I dont have a skimmer on this 24 gal pod. It really seems to be reacting badly to the lights. I did test what I could.
PH 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0

·
11,345 Posts
For what its worth. Your next investment needs to be these

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=SF1123
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=SF1135
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=SF1115

the first two being more important in your case. If you are using those test strips, OR many other tests to achieve that 8.2 ph number it is only accurate in the instance that your PH IS actually 8.2. I swear that tests such as red sea and test strips ALWAYS seem to say 8.2 if your within 1 full point of it.

I just put these down for a reference, they can be obtained for quite a bit cheaper than MD sells them for.

Of course, a $90 investment eliminates the need for ph testing altogether. And the following is not all that bad of a price for the item. You can get them for 76 on ebay but they;; charge you 8-12 for shipping. http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=AM1111

And the lfs is ALWAYS going to tell you their water is perfect. Just as often as not that is NOT the case.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the salifert ph test kit. I thought if calcium or alk was off it would throw the ph off? Also if it was something like the calcium or alk wouldnt all my corals be showing some signs of stress? And as far as the lfs, I really don't think he did that. I had gone in there once & wanted to get the brain but he wanted a sample of the water first. If he was just out to sell the brain he wouldn't have made me come back with a sample risking me not coming back at all. I do plan on getting a ph probe but not right now. Thanks for the links tho.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For now I am going to cut back the lighting period and see how it does. It opens up well at night. Maybe with less light it will have a chance to heal the damaged area. Tomarrow I am going to cut a piece of wood and place it in the corner were the brain is and give it more shade. We will see.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
you might want to try moving it to a lower light level, and see how it does.

i have found that the toothed corals are very sensitive to Ca and alk levels. i have had bubble corals for many years. whenever they would start pulling away from the skeleton i have found that my Ca and alk were off.

G~

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going to go tomarrow and get testkits for them just so I know for sure. When I moved him there was a clump of spagetti worms under him. Could they have been eating his tissue? I thought they only went after dead tissue and I know Sunday night he was expanded and looked great. Monday morning is when I noticed him being retracted and the tissue missing. Tonight he is expanded again so we'll see what tomarrow brings.

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
I have my brain right under a 400 watt MH totally unshaded. He expands fully when the lights are on. I would look for other reasons for his behavior.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used my red light to peek in on him and he has extended alot. Once I get the alk and calcium test I'll post the #'s.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They didn't have the alk test but calcium looks to be 450.

I have resigned myself to the fact that this brain has brown jelly. It's in qt but no real hope of recovery. Losing tissue rapidly and the tissue that is coming off is well brown and slimey. I saw no damage at lfs and I know I drip acclimated it for a little more than an hour. They didn't have salifert so got what they had. It said 450 was borderline high for a reef tho I thought over 400 but under 500 was good. Could this be reason for the brown jelly? Or just an unlucky purchase?

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not sure if anything can be done. Tried a fresh dip with some loguls iodine. tried rinsing off all the slimey parts. It is still inflating at night. Should I try feeding this guy and how often.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts