The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 30-gallon Indo-Pacific reef tank that we are just getting started. The system is currently running with live rock, and I'm adjusting my params. Thinking down the road a bit, we're researching corals for this tank. We'd like to start from the bottom up, so our first question is about the deepest coral in our tank that will live right on the substrate. What are peoples' experiences with Open Brain Coral (Trachyphyllia geoffroyi)? We have 4 inches of substrate. Other stats: 30 gal. tank tall tank with a Berlin sump, in-sump needle wheel skimmer, Current USA Outer Orbit w/moon lights (1x150w 10k HQI-MH/2x65w dual actinic/4 lunar lights), Sedra pump, Ebo Jager heater 75 watt, 54 lbs Live Rock, and 25 pound bags Sun/day sand. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
My open brains prefer to be shaded and well fed mysis or I use shrimp pellets. But other people have had luck with them under MH so it is kinda up to the brain what it likes

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
My open brain does great under 175 watt halide... I feed him shrimp pellets or mysis shrimp about every 2-3 days...it is a beautiful bright red/neon green color. I love to watch it respond to the food and take it right in.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My open brains prefer to be shaded and well fed mysis or I use shrimp pellets. But other people have had luck with them under MH so it is kinda up to the brain what it likes
Thanks. I do have a large, sandy bottom cave for chade if the open brain prefers that... :)

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My open brain does great under 175 watt halide... I feed him shrimp pellets or mysis shrimp about every 2-3 days...it is a beautiful bright red/neon green color. I love to watch it respond to the food and take it right in.
I've heard the red morph likes higher lighting--have you heard that too?

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
I've heard the red morph likes higher lighting--have you heard that too?

My 2 red brains seem to like more light they are in the open in my 95 the green one hated it in there I needed to move him back to the shade

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much! So an Open Brain Coral (Trachyphyllia geoffroyi) will go on the substrate. Now, moving up in the water column, we would like to have a Yellow Fiji Leather (Sarcophyton species) and a Candy Coral (Caulestrea furcata)--any thoughts? Finally for the tricky part, can we have a couple Euphyllias in the tank if they are sitauted six to eight inches from the other corals? We were interested in Torch Coral (Euphyllia glabrescens), Frogspawn (Euphyllia divisa) and Hammer Coral (Euphyllia Ancora). Any advice you could offer on these (or other corals we should consider) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Only thing I can comment on is the frogspawn. Mine likes to be in mid-water with a medium current on it at all times. It also likes to hang out from the reef edge so it can fully extend without touching anything else. They grow failry quickly, so give them plenty of room.

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
The frogspawn and hammer should be OK close to each other. I tried my torch and frogspawn next to each other and they both suffered.

It took very little time for my frogspawn to out grow my 24g nano cube though if they are happy they get big quick

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just an update...our small red open brain arrives tomorrow. I've read up on how best to introduce it to the tank and what to look out for, but I was wondering if anyone had any last minute "I wish someone had told me that" suggestions. Thanks~!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just an update...our small red open brain arrives tomorrow. I've read up on how best to introduce it to the tank and what to look out for, but I was wondering if anyone had any last minute "I wish someone had told me that" suggestions. Thanks~!
Breaking news! Fortune has shown on us, and we just got a small Bubble Tip Anemone (Entacmaea quadricolor), a Green Staghorn Acropora frag (Acropora sp.), and a small Electric Torch Coral (Euphyllia glabrescens). Any suggestions on introductions, placements, etc. would be much appreciated. Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts