The Reef Tank banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. Yesterday I bought an open brain coral at my local fish store. I came home and I noticed that it had a small area which was not covered in flesh (dead spot?) as seen in the picture (top middle of the coral). When I saw him at the fish store, the brain coral was inflated and puffed which was why I was only able to notice the dead spot when I came home as it had then deflated itself while acclimating. I had also received no information about this at my store.

The question I want to ask is:

(1) Will the dead area (damaged area) grow back its flesh?
(2) Fundamentally, can the open brain coral recover from damage?

Instinctively, as the dead spot is not large, I would assume that this amount of damage is okay and that it would recover, but after reading some posts made by other people (such as "dead area cannot grow back its flesh," or "once it takes damage it will begin to recede") I began to worry. Should I return him to the store?

ps. I have now placed him on the sandbed.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,786 Posts
1. Not usually. From my experience the scar remains but I've read reports that contradict this, mine have always remained.
2. Most certainly. This is a pretty resistant coral that should heal as long as the water quality is good. Often cleaner shrimp (especially peppermint shrimp) will eat the dead tissue which actually helps the coral to survive. They leave the healthy and just go after the necrotic. This is similar to the way human doctors treat wounds, it's called "debridement".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts