The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Maltese Reefer
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wanted to add one more oops to the search list!:D I finally got a predator tank, this will be a FOWLR. My wife has been bugging me about getting a lionfish, or a dogface puffer, or any number of fish we can' keep in the reef! no no no, but I secretly wanted another tank anyway, hehe, not really all that big of a secret, just read the sig. Anyway, I had some money set aside for a predator tank and started reading the ads. I have got some crazy deals in the paper before, I knew what to look for and what I wanted, so I started looking for a 75 or so gallon tank. Well, ONE day later there is a 135 gallon tank sitting in the living room, OOPS! Pics may follow after initial setup....:rolleyes: :beer:
A volitan and dogface puffer are required to go into the tank according to the wife, so any thoughts on other fish that would live well with these two species, maybe a trigger, thinking a Niger Trigger??
Feel free to throw out some suggestions!!:D

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
I have a niger trigger and mine is very shy and fairly non-aggressive. He definitely holds his own, though. they grow some pretty big teeth so could probably put a scrappy puffer in their place. I think (it just depends on the animal.) Their swimming behavior is really interesting, I think.
I have also heard suggestions of harlequin wrasses or other large aggressive wrasses (rock-mover or dragon wrasse, for example) in a predator tank, or even a surgeonfish, as they have those scalpel-thingies that they can and do wield to defend themselves.

this is just what I have heard! I havent set up my predator tank yet, as I need a bigger tank to do so, so none of my comments come from actual personal experience, so keep that in mind. But I DO think you will enjoy a niger trigger, which is my main reason for posting!

·
Maltese Reefer
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I hoped a Niger trigger would get a long with the others, I have read they are one of the least agressive triggers.
Keep em coming!:beer: :D

·
Maltese Reefer
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, an eel would be sweet, just got to convince the wife!!:D

·
Registered
84 Posts
PURPLE TANG!

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
(rolls eyes) you and my husband and your purple tangs! :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just wnat one..... but I have to many other fish and a reef tank. I guess i wont be getting one any time soon.

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
aw, don't be sad....you can ALWAYS upgrade your tank size!!!

MORE TANKS! BIGGER TANKS! :D

·
Registered
706 Posts
Anglers anglers anglers......frogfish are great.

So what if you only know they are there when they are eating, they are still great! And they will add some color to that lion and puffer,

·
Registered
122 Posts
If you are thinking about an eel, I can personally say that the Zebra Moray is the best I've ever had in a tank. They are very passive and mine was never aggressive towards any other fish. The Zebra was about 3 feet long, and the 8 inch Snowflake was by far the most aggressive thing we had. We also had a small stingray, which was one of the most playful creatures I've ever seen in a tank.

Congrats on the 135!

·
Maltese Reefer
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for reminding me about anglers!! I had a sargassum fish for awhile, actually I have had 3 total over all, and it was one of the coolest fish, they hang out at the top of the tank a lot more than regular anglers, since their native "sargassum weed" floats around in big mats.:D Ahh, decisions decisions....

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Those are the kind of oops thread that I like to hear!!!!!:beer: :D

·
Maltese Reefer
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So what are we looking at there? Seems like I have seen that pic before, just can't place it. Those teeth look mean!:D :D

·
Maltese Reefer
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice looking fish. Funny that I was just looking at wrases about the same time you posted what it was. I want a wrasse for the reef, but it looks like most all are jumpers, and there is no way I can think of to seal off the reef. My new FOWLR tank has glass lids, so wrasse jumpers are not a problem. I will have to see if I can find a yellowhead.:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts