The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I think I have made a huge mistake. I bought my foxface and chromis from a new web site, petsolutions.com. I am used to Liveaquaria, with the very obvious difficulty level chart. This site had no such chart. I was ordering cleaners, and looking for a sand sifting star. This star was featured on the page, had no difficulty warnings, so I ordered it. This was the first thing I bought without reading and reading. Serves me right. So, now I have this super delicate star fish here. I am acclimating it super slowly, going on 2 hours now. Since I have already made the mistake, and the star is here, how can I best ensure his survival? I feel awful. Poor little guy. I know the primary danger is changes in salinity and PH, I am running 0 on nitrates, temperature is constant, digital PH monitor. I need to watch out for his blue snail parasites, and bits of him turning white, indicating an acclimation problem somewhere. Should I order him some clam bits? I keep frozen mysis, brine, zooplankton and dried nori.

·
The hammer is my...coral
1,501 Posts
Ok, I think I have made a huge mistake. I bought my foxface and chromis from a new web site, petsolutions.com. I am used to Liveaquaria, with the very obvious difficulty level chart. This site had no such chart. I was ordering cleaners, and looking for a sand sifting star. This star was featured on the page, had no difficulty warnings, so I ordered it. This was the first thing I bought without reading and reading. Serves me right. So, now I have this super delicate star fish here. I am acclimating it super slowly, going on 2 hours now. Since I have already made the mistake, and the star is here, how can I best ensure his survival? I feel awful. Poor little guy. I know the primary danger is changes in salinity and PH, I am running 0 on nitrates, temperature is constant, digital PH monitor. I need to watch out for his blue snail parasites, and bits of him turning white, indicating an acclimation problem somewhere. Should I order him some clam bits? I keep frozen mysis, brine, zooplankton and dried nori.

yes some clam bits may help.

you should also make sure he is never exposed to air.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The shipping bag was on it's side when it came out of the box, but I immediately righted it and have not exposed him further. Does the air in his shipping bag count?

I have a hydrometer, but do not use ATO. Maybe I should start by testing the salinity in his bag and the tank? I have been scoop acclimating him, 1/4 cup every 30 minutes.

·
The hammer is my...coral
1,501 Posts
The shipping bag was on it's side when it came out of the box, but I immediately righted it and have not exposed him further. Does the air in his shipping bag count?

I have a hydrometer, but do not use ATO. Maybe I should start by testing the salinity in his bag and the tank? I have been scoop acclimating him, 1/4 cup every 30 minutes.
you want to do a drip line. and yes that air counts. :)

·
The hammer is my...coral
1,501 Posts
Crap, crap. So he may be screwed even before I get him out of the bag. The salinity is his bag is still slightly higher than my tank. Still acclimating. I feel like a murderer.
it happens to the best of us. ive done it a few times with clowns when my tank tested good, but wasnt getting oxygen. (my pump died and i ahd no clue)

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
For me, acclimation is one of two issues with these guys. Even if you acclimate perfectly, any acclimation along the line (from ocean to wholesaler, wholesaler to retailer, etc.) that's stinky will ultimately spell doom for the starfish. You will know in a month or so if the acclimation processes from ocean to your tank were adequate.

The second issue regards feeding these guys. I think these guys eat detritus, and that's about it. I've never seen a blue linkia eat any prepared foods.

I have had two of these guys since I started the hobby, and both lived for years. I used to add one fresh piece of just-cured live rock to the tank about every 6 months, and he would be all over it within a day or so. Not sure if that's a coincidence or not.

Best of luck with them. They are awesome creatures. :)

·
The hammer is my...coral
1,501 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for your help. He is still in his bag, acclimating. I have successfully been keeping snails (cerith, astrea and bumblebee), a coral banded shrimp, 2 brittles, emerald crabs and some zoos. Maybe he will be alright. Lesson learned.

·
The hammer is my...coral
1,501 Posts
Thanks everyone for your help. He is still in his bag, acclimating. I have successfully been keeping snails (cerith, astrea and bumblebee), a coral banded shrimp, 2 brittles, emerald crabs and some zoos. Maybe he will be alright. Lesson learned.
ooooh i like bumble bee snails :) i have 20 of them

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
On a more positive note, the blue linkia has a better chance of surviving longer than a sand sifting star does.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have two very unsocial brittles, one is purple and 'fuzzy', and he has a few knobs on his legs, the other is brown and beige striped, no knobs. Sorry, not terribly technical descriptions...

·
Registered
546 Posts
Amanda, 2 words. Harlequin shrimp.

Just kidding... way too many linckias die for every one that makes it into a tank to use them as feeders. But if it turns out that he's doomed, it would make for an interesting display. Judging by how concerned you are for the starfish I don't think you would go for that idea (nothing wrong with that!) but just thought I'd throw it out there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts