The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Mushroom Coral Fanatic
979 Posts
I don't think it matters as far as care goes. Treat him the way you would any percula.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sure does. That ones not a percula. And its the wrong color. I wish I could get a better pic of it. My camera phone doesn't do it any justice.

·
Registered
687 Posts
The additional photos you posted aren't working.

Count the spines on the dorsal of the fish - that is a way to determine if you have an ocellaris or a percula. Ocellaris have 11 dorsal spines, precs have 10.

Sometimes eye color can help as well - percs generally have more of an orange eye (making the eye look smaller) where ocellaris eyes are a little darker, more of an orange/grey to darker grey (which can make the eyes look larger). But, with all of the genetic breeding of these fish, I'm not sure if the eye color holds up any longer. Here is a page full of morphs from genetically altering the fish to produce many different patterns: http://www.orafarm.com/products/fish/clowns/

I think you may have an ocellaris.... but it is hard to tell from the first photos you have posted. It's too bad the second batch of photos aren't working.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IMAG0356.jpg It's definatly a percula. That's not the question in my nano I have 2 ocellaris. Different color orange and body shape.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I was trying to answer your question, I think it is best to properly identify the fish you have to make it a little easier to pair it - with all the mixed breeding of clowns to create different and interesting morphs, I think it is best to key out (identify) the fish you have, be it ocellaris or percula.

You don't have to pair it with another of the same species or color morph, as successful mixed breeding of Premnas biaculeatus (Maroon)/Amphiprion ocellaris (False Perc)/Amphiprion percula (true perc) has been done before, which means that you can mix them up and see if they pair, you have identified yours as a perc, but you don't have to get another onyx true perc (if onyx is what you have) to pair it with if you don't want to.

It can be difficult to mix pair, but then again it can be difficult to get two of the same species/morph to pair as well. Seems to be a 50:50 chance. But, yours sounds like it is an adult (by the size that you mentioned, 3.5-4 inches) so it is likely a female already. So, any small perc about 1-1.5 inches or less would have a better chance of pairing with it, as it will likely be a year old or less, and thus most likely hasn't become sexually mature as a female or male yet. But, you already have two ocellaris and probably already know this.

I'm not sure if yours is an onyx, it might have been breed to produce that pretty morph, but you can always try to pair it with a onyx and see how it goes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks that's more in line of the question. So you thank I could pair it with any spiecies or perc? Onyx or regular? I don't know because I've never mixed clowns.

·
Registered
687 Posts
It's not easy, but can be done, and has been done. Personally, I've only paired clowns twice, over a decade ago I was able to pair a orange ocellaris and an orange perc, I was a marine bio undergrade and really didn't know what I was doing, but the experiment worked out. I had them paired for a good four years until the eel became large enough and ate the male. Right now I have two black ocellaris, they are nine months old and going through the ritual behaviors of paring. One is a half inch larger then the other and it looks like it will work out for them, but they are still immature and haven't become adults yet, they still have little orange faces on black and white bodies.

If you think you have a onyx, which it may be, then I personally would try to pair with another onyx, but if you want to try to mix pair then you can try it, it really comes down to your comfort level and knowing when to pull the little fish out if it is being beaten up. Someone else posted on another link that they have used a acclimation box to see how the older clown reacts to the new clown. You can leave the new clown in there for about a week or until the smaller fish begins to show signs that it will submit (leaning sideways and shaking/vibrating).

·
Registered
715 Posts
IMO, it is an ocellaris.

The spine count can overlap b/t the species. While not exact, I go by the eyes and the "feel" that comes from keeping clowns for 20 some odd years.

Can see the clear eyes on my Solomon Island percs,

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Go by the eyes you say? Look at the ora web site and look at all thier eyes. The o's all have clear eyes. This fish was sold by aquarium arts in az as an Onyx percula. And is much stockier than the same length o's next to it. Now from the research I've been doing its definatly a perc. It's not my first rodeo. Larger o's are slimmer and finer lines around the white. Mine has the black coloration around his eyes. Its not the acual eye. It alsohas more of a yellowish orange than the Ocell.

·
Registered
715 Posts
The link that you put from ORA, and the ring around the eyes sure doesn't look clear to me.

You asked for an opinion and I gave it -- but since this isn't your first "rodeo", I will leave your thread.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I think it will be very difficult to answer your first question - if this is a true perc onyx or a mixed breed - w/out knowing any of the genetic mixing that has occurred.

Now a days it is really hard to determine if a perc was crossed with a ocellaris to create the darker looking percs OR if this is a mutated color variant of a perc. And we don't know how often crosses where done to create your fish's pretty coloration.

What I was trying to do was key out the fish you have based on some established ways of identifying fish to help you answer your own question. I wouldn't go by the ORA site only b/c there are overlaps of both perc and ocellaris there due to all of their mixing of species and morphs - for example the bright orange can be seen in both perc and ocellaris, the dark black bands around the white can be seen on both species, and the eye coloration as well. I originally pointed out the ORA site to show all of the variations due to crossing the different species, plus the have a fish with black fins.

Since there are so many different variants now, I wanted to focus on the spine count as a way to help id your fish. The first black dorsal into the white band are where the spines will be. The second black dorsal will have rays (not spines) so don't count those. I still can't really tell by you photos, but I'm still leaning towards ocellaris.

You have a pretty fish that may not be a onyx perc b/c of the question of the black fins, but it can also be a color morph/variant of a onyx perc. The bottom line is that you can still try to pair it with another onyx perc, if that is what you would like to do.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's def a mix of something. Imo from looking at it in real life its bold coloring and stocky build makes me think perc. But i'll agree it does have some traites of a ocellaris. Wonder if its a moca mix. Some of those are mixed between black and orange ocellaris or true percula and black ocellaris.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts