The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this ran in usa today last week...

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2003-06-23-nemo-fish_x.htm

but this is the part i really got a kick out of...

"...The proper habitat for a fish like Nemo - with a filtration system, salt mix and water conditioner - can cost as much as $300."

i couldnt resist passing that one on...:funny:

brad

·
Super Moderator
22,646 Posts
wow, if it was not for the wrong reasons,,,i'd want one,,or two!;)
Brad,,,flatworms?
we are here for ya,,,,,,,ahem....

·
Super Moderator
22,646 Posts
only $300? we ALL know how far that goes,,,;)

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
300 hundred that is a joke, I only have a 25 gallon and as of today whats inside the tank is worth about $1500, that doesn't include the tank and filtration, food, additives, testing equipment, books!!

Its kind of sad though, did you read all the artical about how many fish they get in compared to before the movie!! Whats going to happen to all those fish when the childs interest is lost!!! I spend atleast a couple of hours each day looking at my reef!! I also spend about 1/2 hour every other day cleaning it!! Plus checking the water, changing the water, preparing and giving them special foods. I am becoming a addict!! I should say I am a addict!! Now if I can only come up with the money to upgrade to a bigger tank!!!!

CHEERS
:beer:
DERM

·
Registered
565 Posts
$300 that didn't even cover my 90 Gallon Tank, or my 520 Watt Power Compacts, or the 135lbs of Live Rock, or the return pump, sump, and skimmer, etc. This doesn't even cover the livestock in the tank. Man I WISH this hobby topped out at $300 but then everyone would be doing it.

Earl

·
Registered
239 Posts
Consider the source. They are talking with an "expert" from Petco. I think we can see why the complete setup will cost $300. It's the initial setup for a Fish only system with NO lights and just enough filtration for the fish to survive...not thrive.

Furthermore, they liken the fish tank to a science experiment. Huh????

·
Registered
565 Posts
Well Reedman it kinda is like a science experiment with trying to simulate the environment of a reef and maintain it. I am constantly measuring different things to keep my water parameters ideal. We try different ways to better the health and vitality of our ecosystems in a glass box. So in a sense he is correct.

Earl

·
Registered
135 Posts
You could not do a reef for $300 but you could easily put together
a fish only salt tank suitable for percs for that amount of money.
30/20/10/5 gallon tank no skimmer, filter with bio wheel, fake plants, salt mix and conditioned tap water, normal out-put florescent fixture, food. You do not need additives for a fish only,
just regular water changes. I am not defending them one bit, I just know it can be done, its how I started.

Robbie

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
All the hours we put into a saltwater system regardless of size that $300 would be penny change at best!:)

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
They are talking with an "expert" from Petco.
Not all PetCo fish ppl are stupid thank you very much

Jeff

·
Registered
418 Posts
Well Jeff you gotta admit that you are one of the few folks from Petco that actually seem to care about what they do. Of the 7 petco's that I have been to there are two that I would actually consider buying anything from (yours included:) )

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Yes I am a PetCo employee. I must agree some ppl working in the chain stores are just kids with little or no exp. But there are us that do care and take great pride in the tanks and animals we have in the store.

BTW Thanks Tom

Jeff

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
I saw nothing wrong with the article. Just where was it inaccurate?

Just because intense hobbyists spend more dollars doesn't mean that the article was wrong.

Without making this a commercial post, I can get somebody started in a 29 g kit for about that much, if they are doing FO and don't add any upgrades (yet), the key is, once they get into it, they typically spend on a skimmer later (if they don't get one right away), then lighting upgrade, then corals, then, then, then,.....

So $300 on a small system is right on the money (pardon the pun). How many here started for that or less? At least it's a heck of a lot more realistic than the now-infamous tetra article that showed a $50, 5-gallon mini-bow by AGA. That whole setup, with fish and "tetra water conditioner" probably cost under $150, with the blue tang being the most expensive component.

I started in 1986 with a second-hand 30 tall complete with undergravel filter, plastic plants and fish, for $120. Little did I know then.......

I think the article was better written than most I've read lately - I even saw one where they mis-quoted Paul Holthus of MAC saying that MAC has a certification program that ensures that fish are caught "WITH DRUGS" :eek: (they should have said "without drugs" ::ie cyanide:: ) We emailed the newspaper and the item was corrected, but sheeze...... :rolleyes:

Jenn

·
Registered
418 Posts
I actually got started for around $55. I had a 29 gallon seaclear tank and fluval 303 canister that I used previously for FW, that I had purchased second hand for 40 a few years ago. I had to get new lights because the ones that I had were from england, so that cost me about $10 at home depot, I then purchased 2 damsels, and Matt (Brown Trout) hooked me up w/ some LS and a couple pieces of LR (Big thanks again Matt) last year right before he move to San Diego. Of course I have spent quite a bit since then on upgrading but that is besides the point. So it can be done for real cheap.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I meant no offence there Jeff. It's just that if you walk into any given large chain pet store and talk to the first person that asks if they can help you, odds are they won't know what phosphates are or the salinity level you should maintain.

Some folks know there stuff very well. I have even had better success with some of the fish out of Petco than the ones from the LFS. I was just reacting to the Nemo reference and the fact that Petco is who they talk to for their info when their are stores that are dedicated to saltwater only and would probably differ on the $300 setup cost.

I apologize if I offended you. Just a little foot in mouth disease.

Peace.
-Reed

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
We started out our first tank for around that price. We already had the 29 gallon tank and stand. After purchasing a skilter:rolleyes: some live rock, sand, and a set of PC lights we were cycling. Our first fish were a pair of true percs. Of course we have upgraded everything since then, but our clowns were quite happy.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
For what it's worth, John Brandt of MAC said that Nemo is an ocellaris. Not sure where he got his info.

At least there was no anem in the Tetra tank.... :rolleyes:

Jenn

·
Registered
180 Posts
Stang69 said:
Yes I am a PetCo employee. I must agree some ppl working in the chain stores are just kids with little or no exp. But there are us that do care and take great pride in the tanks and animals we have in the store.

BTW Thanks Tom

Jeff
I myself am also a PetCo employee. I agree with Stang very much. I take pride in my tanks at the store level and also into all the tanks that I manage here at my apartment.
But I also wanted to share an experience of mine about this $300 "Nimo setup". We had a woman come into our store and pick up a double betta bowl and wanted 2 ocellaris' to tank home with her. I like the movie but I get tired of hearing kids say "But mommy I want a Nimo fishie".

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.