The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I only had 2 fish currently in my 10 gallon reef. A small 1 inch clownfish and an equally small 1 inch blackbar chromis. Both I've had for about a month and a half with no problems (other than that the blackbar likes to pick on my clown now and then, he's a bit of a bully). Weirdest thing though, today I come home from work and he's no longer there!!! He's not in his usual hiding spot. He has just completely vanished. I saw him just this morning and he was just fine and happy like usual. He has always been very, VERY healthy looking. Both my fish have. I even saw him at lunch and he was there and just fine. I come home and he's nowhere to be found. I have nothing in the tank that would have attacked him I don't think. Let me run down the list:

FISH:
1 ocellaris clown

INVERTS:
4 red-legged hermits
1 scarlet hermit
4 Tonga nassarius snails
3 onyx nassarius snails
2 nerite snails
1 small sand sifting starfish

CORALS:
4 small green-striped mushroom corals
several yellow polyps
1 finger leather
1 green umbrella leather
1 pink birdsnest
1 small pulsing xenia

12 lbs LR
10 lbs LS

Thats what I've got. That and the usual bunch of copopods on the glass and a little bit of an algae problem right now I'm working off.

My water is testing great currently and everything else in the tank is and has been perfectly healthy looking. I don't understand what happened. The ONLY idea I have is that I know when I have had animals die in the past, (lost a scarlet cleaner shrimp a couple weeks ago, and 2 snails and 1 hermit have died since I've had my tank) my 4 Tonga Nassarius snails are AMAZING any dead material in mere minutes (nice because I don't worry about ammonia spikes, bad because I have no idea where things went). In ALL of those situations though there were shells left or exoskeletons. In this situation there is NOTHING! I can literally find nothing anywhere. Even blowing through the top layer of sand with a baster. Why is my fish gone? He didn't even jump the tank as there is nothing around on the floor and the area around my tank is perfectly clean so I would see it if it were there. I am just astounded. My only guess is that he died and his carcass was eaten by my Tonga Nassarius snails. How he died remains a mystery though as he was perfectly healthy and happy when I last saw him not but 7 hours ago! What the heck!? Ugg.. I guess at least Blackbar Chromis are cheap fish. He cost me 5 bucks. Still sad though.

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope. No dogs or cats. Nothing that could have gotten him. I wonder if perhaps he is just hiding extremely well but he didn't even come out when I fed. Guess maybe Ill have a better idea tomorrow. Or maybe I won't. :-(

·
Registered
560 Posts
Bummer, I hope he shows up. I once didn't see my yellow watchman for 4 days which was weird because I see him literally every time I look at my tank. Turned out he was just over being social for awhile. Now he's back to his old ways.

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HOLY CRAP!!! Nevermind, he's back this morning. Wow, really, I looked all over the place. I guess he's managed to find a better hiding place for the night. He usually has one specific spot and I can see him in there if I look from the right angle but now he's found one much better that I have no idea where is. Fun stuff. Well, I guess thats what happens when you have rocks with tons of places to hide. Wonder what else is lurking in the dark corners of my tank. *cue music from Psycho*...

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
I had a shoal of 10 blackbar chromis about 8 years ago. A little aggressive, but what cool fish! If I ever set up a second larger tank I want a big group of them:D

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are really cool. He's fun to watch and swims in and out of the smallest crevices like nothing. My clown just hangs out in the open mostly and is slot more playful and curious.. I like both fish. I'm thinking Id like to get a Royal Gramma as well but not sure if that's a great idea in my size of tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts