The Reef Tank banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I post this in lighting, for I need to still know in what im to look for or even try to buy those who might be selling that item in the forums, im also telling you what has been happening and what further decisions I made to see this tank happening in the coming months.

Hi again, the last two times or so I gotten little to no responses depending on what was the question in the first place. Now I know that I been asking on a number of certain questions from lighting to pumps. The last question I solved that myself by collecting a number of particular threads in which speaks of a large tank from beginning to end. Some might have seen, the person who will rebuild my tank, had suggested his opinion to have two pumps for my main return. between both of those pumps, they would giving me a flow rate somewhere less then 1800 gph. I told him that I wanted better and that being no one would bother to assist me any further at that time, I selected the main return pump myself. I selected the sequense dart 3600 pump, and it will I believe from James (my new aquarium guy) that the return will split into two returns.

Sequence ReeFlo Dart Pump, 3600 GPH
http://www.saltysupply.com/product-p/mm1136.htm

Now I been busy the last two weeks on this, and looking for certain used equipment so that I might save to do something else as well. What I mean by that is, im buying a new stand and canopy, as of right now im a price quote for a tank stand of 36" tall under the tank. Now im waiting for my second quote, to see what difference the cost will be to have 38" tall stand. For once this tank does start, that will be it, I wont be able to do anything further due to having a tank stand of only 24" tall, for equipment it becomes a huge problem.

Now I already paid for these items, a 1/2 HP chiller, calcium reactor and a Co2 tank with Regulator, and a skimmer with pump and a waste container. Now I will be able to do little more to buy as much in cost as I done here, for were coming to the time when I need to have together before X-Mas, the property tax and that going we over $1500 this year. If I not buy the new stand and canopy, I believe that I might had started up this tank before the end of the year.

Another thing is, I lost both selection list for my 240 gal SPS tank, the cleaning crew and fish that I would mostly have, or was planning to have. Im hoping when the time comes that those who giving me their assistance on both types of crew selection, that you will assist me with it once more. After all, if I can show all the patience in world waiting to when I will finally do this tank (Six long years) that you could show me some patience as well for the bottom line here, the main fact of it is that I never in all my years while doing the hobby owned a SPS system, so there has to be questions I will ask of.

All the equipment items mentioned in this thread are listed as follows:

Pacific Coast Imports C0500 ½hp Chiller

My Reef Creations dual Chamber Calcium Reactor
Regulator
Co2 Canister

http://www.myreefcreations.com/MR-4-Protein-Skimmer

MRC MR4 Skimmer
Blueline external pump (1750 gph)
Waste container

There still be a number of items to get, as well as in the lighting set up. The problem be is, the last time I was asking something on this, and I knew that I wasn't happy with the lights selection which James (his the man who will rebuild my tank) suggested, in my last post or three in question has gotten zero opinions. The thing you need to know as well as that I never maintained a SPS reef tank, but I did other corals with no problems, im no lighting expert..

Also, for the calcium and phosphate reactors, im looking for the best high quality media for these equipment and bulk size., so cost will be somewhere high.

This is one lighting setup i became glued too, but it just needs more blue at cooling down period before shutting down>
========================================
4x250w MH.
Two Reefoptic 3 on Icecaps with 14K Phoenix.
Two Aquamedic pendants with 14k Phoenix.
8x54w T5 on Icecaps
4 total Blueplus
2 Aquable specials
2 6500
It went 2 Bluepluses in the front
Then the MHs
1x blue plus
1x6500
1x blue plus
1xAquablue
It drew about 1200 watts at the MH ballasts
And 800 or so watts for the T5s
So around 2000 watts total for 1600 watts of light.
===================================

here is another lighting on another 240 gal reef tank that I found>

Lighting - All main tank lighting is contained within the DIY aluminum light box that measures 8" tall X 15" deep X 8' long. Four Hamilton 250-watt Double Ended 14k Kelvin metal halide bulbs in four PFO mini-pendant fixtures and driven by four IceCap 250 electronic ballasts. Eight 46.5" super-actinic URI VHO bulbs on two circuits drive by two IceCap 660 electronic ballasts, one controlled by a Niche Engineering 500 Dimmer to simulate dawn/dusk. Three 25-watt incandescent blue "party" lights as moonlights. One each 150-watt Iwasaki 6500 Kelvin metal halide bulb on both the sump/refugium and grow-out tank, both driven by IceCap 150 electronic ballasts.
=================================================

I can not honestly say I know everything im looking at here, after all, I did say that im no expert when it comes to lighting, all I know is that I need to get the best lighting possible that wont as well eat up my wallet/savings. I figure a $100 a month extra electric bill, I could deal with that.

Im also looking to run me a refugium, the tank sump will remain as the 4' L tank that was put on the 240 from the beginning, a 75 gal tank, I figure I already once paid for a custom glass sump.

Now the reason for talking about what possible lighting I could have, I want to get some better idea to what ballast to look for if and when its become available on sale in the selling forum. As well about the ballasts, I want to get the top of the line. Now as I said, I am not sure to what more I could spend on this before the end of the years. But if buying used and in great condition, it would take a load of my mind.

The new stand at this time to be, stands 36" tall for $875 and the canopy for $540 is a good price I told James, now before any decision is made, im waiting for a quote on the tank stand to be 38" tall.

So with all that is said here, will I once again be able to count on the very same people who giving me some type of assistance? After all, this is a forum were people do two type of things, one is they show to all their own tanks and be heavily praised for it, the other thing be is what the forums are all about, to assist others to the best of their knowledge.
If its to be that I will get no assistance what-so-ever because of the long wait in when this tank will really and truly be started up, and become a reality other then just a dream. The use equipment as you seen listed in this thread has cost me $1,395 and the 36" tall stand with canopy is priced at $1,415 before tax.

There is still the phosphate reactor to pick out, and the lighting, also cooling fans. But I seen once this type of cooling fans, i not been able to relocate again, its attaches to the top back of the reef tank, on one unit it has four fans blowing across the water of the tank. Even that I will have a chiller, I rather not leave it all up to the chiller in what my tank temperature will be, I will have fans in place.

Please believe and trust me that I am very serious in when I will get this SPS tank started up, I like those who had giving some suggestions before to when that (same) question comes up, please talk to me. I can not just listen to one man, who is setting up this tank. I didn't care for his lighting suggestion/opinion or his main return pumps flow rate would been. I did solve the flow rate on my own account, but lighting again becomes another matter for me, I know nothing of other then that I know I need the best possible lighting.

In this post, I posted two possible sets of lights to use., The big problem if going with T5 with MH, just how many T5 I should go with, and which type? If a settlement could be reached, and I the ballasts (links) that I should best have, I could then list my request in the selling forum that im looking for these, but not too old I should think.

Again, the tank is to be dominated by SPS corals, with about three clams. And I told James that I wanted a closed loop system, he seems to think its not needed.or not worth it.

I hope you all will agree that im not looking to waste anyones time, that I will be able to count on those who has the knowledge to assist me, this tank will happen, with or without your help. Without your help will only make the progress somewhat slower. I hope that I could count on those once again.

Buddy

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,985 Posts
Just a word of advice here. Break the questions down into much smaller topics. It's really hard to sit and read through a novel to find and answer on small question.

A simple question would be..

What lighting would you recommend for my (x size tank), and why? I plan on keeping all SPS ( for example, or softies or LPS..)

This would actually get you help for your tank. Just trying to help you out...

One more thing and I will see if you can post a thread as simply as I recommended..Please ask for advice at one thing at a time you r thread, when you get the answers you are looking for and are satisfied, start a new thread with a new question :)

HTH

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a word of advice here. Break the questions down into much smaller topics. It's really hard to sit and read through a novel to find and answer on small question.
Fat Tony, in my last three post or so, I gotten little and then no responses, and that post taking me hours to type out, and I was trying very hard to get your attention and others who might best assist me here. But yes, I agree with you that it would be better to short and sweet.

What lighting would you recommend for my (x size tank), and why? I plan on keeping all SPS ( for example, or softies or LPS..)

This would actually get you help for your tank. Just trying to help you out...
Great, the tank is to be dominated with SPS corals and there be a number of clams.
the tank is 8'x2'x2'.

Main return pump, I selected the Sequence ReeFlo Dart Pump, 3600 GPH

And I could use the same pump once i get the aquarium guy to agree putting in a closed loop system. Is it agreed that this pump is good for what im looking to do here?

Do I really need to start a new thread?

You have been planning your tank for a long long time with what appears to be lots of research.
Yes, but in the past weeks, the tank has changed somewhat to something better I believe.

Buddy

PS, this post holds just one question, the pump im looking at to have. I agree it be far better to handle one thing at a time. But I had to try hard to get your attention, I feel that without any answers from a number of people in the forums, that my task will be extremely much more difficult, due to that a SPS tank is something I never done.

·
Mommy Mod
10,257 Posts
Buddy

I am more for power heads in a tank for flow over a closed loop. That is not to say a closed loop isn't a good idea many folks here use them.

I am not sure what pump is the best- I needed help with that as well.

I know you want to make sure that the pump can handle any head loss and then still put out a good amount of flow.

I like to put slower flow through my sump so that it matches what my skimmer pump does.

I hope that helps you some.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,985 Posts
Fat Tony, in my last three post or so, I gotten little and then no responses, and that post taking me hours to type out, and I was trying very hard to get your attention and others who might best assist me here. But yes, I agree with you that it would be better to short and sweet.

Great, the tank is to be dominated with SPS corals and there be a number of clams.
the tank is 8'x2'x2'.

Main return pump, I selected the Sequence ReeFlo Dart Pump, 3600 GPH

And I could use the same pump once i get the aquarium guy to agree putting in a closed loop system. Is it agreed that this pump is good for what im looking to do here?

Do I really need to start a new thread?

Yes, but in the past weeks, the tank has changed somewhat to something better I believe.

Buddy

PS, this post holds just one question, the pump im looking at to have. I agree it be far better to handle one thing at a time. But I had to try hard to get your attention, I feel that without any answers from a number of people in the forums, that my task will be extremely much more difficult, due to that a SPS tank is something I never done.

Ok.. now we're talking. Personally I don't have the hours to read an in depth post about one specific tank, there are alot of people out there that have questions (not to mention the 150+ PM's i get a week) and I honestly try to get to all of them that I can.

So lets start with yours here...

Your return pump is going to be too large for yuse as a return pump from your sump. From the dimensions of the tank is sounds like a 240. What are the dimensions of your sump? 3600gph through a sump is going to be extremely noisy and will not help you one bit when it comes to efficient filtration of the water via the skimmer.

Some tips here on flow in a reef system.
* Flow comes from wither a closed loop or powerheads, not from the sump.
* Do not calculate sump flow as part of your overall flow in your tank, think of it only as filtration.
* For your display you are going to want at least 30x's turnover for SPS. My suggestion is to ditch the closed loop and it's cost and instead invest that cost into a much more efficient powerhead that will do more for less (as far as power consumption goes). I suggest that you purchase 3-4 MP40w Vortechs. You will get every bit of flow you need for htis tank out of those.

* For your sump return.. depending on what your dimensions of the sump are, you should stick to less than 1000 gph of through flow. My suggestion, is going to be an Eheim product. Depending on your skimmer you plan to use, the 1260 or 1262 would be the best bet for your tank.

Keep the questions coming, just make them simple and short winded :) you will get the best results that way.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The sump measures come to 48"L X 18" W X 17" H

Do not calculate sump flow as part of your overall flow in your tank, think of it only as filtration.
Yes, I do know and understand that, for i will be adding a number of good pump for water currents, and one other thing, the chiller will be on its own filtration/pump.

For your display you are going to want at least 30x's turnover for SPS. My suggestion is to ditch the closed loop and it's cost and instead invest that cost into a much more efficient powerhead that will do more for less (as far as power consumption goes). I suggest that you purchase 3-4 MP40w Vortechs. You will get every bit of flow you need for htis tank out of those.
I did have in thought to possibly go with a stronger return pump and not concern myself of the closed loop system, but I never had in all my years a 30x turnover rate, even on the reef tanks I done, but I guess your right in a way for i did a long time ago understood that a SPS system required a stronger turnover rate.

On the MP 40w Vortechs, a link please

I found this running a search:
http://www.reefs.org/forums/topic125090.html

I know the cost of having three those pumps runs a good buck, but I think in that thread, his asking for like his full money back, I think, I couldn`t find any links other then finding those pumps in forums. could you provide me with a on store link that sells them?

The skimmer I will use is already paid for, its>
http://www.myreefcreations.com/MR-4-Protein-Skimmer

MRC MR4 Skimmer
Blueline external pump (1750 gph)
Waste container

For your sump return.. depending on what your dimensions of the sump are, you should stick to less than 1000 gph of through flow. My suggestion, is going to be an Eheim product. Depending on your skimmer you plan to use, the 1260 or 1262 would be the best bet for your tank
My new aquarium man had suggested two quiet ones, both would giving me a turnover rate of less then 1800 gph One of those pumps were at 750 gph I think.

One other thing, on the reurn flow, the return will i believe split into two returns.

Buddy :)

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
FWIW, lighting is not the most frequented sub forum.

QO pumps are better than Mag drive from what I hear but not in the same league as Eheim by all accounts.

As far as stronger return pump and cutting the CLS, there is a point where you move water so quickly through the sump you do not skim it well. Fat Tony can help more on exact numbers on that than I can.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,985 Posts
No problem... Those Vortechs are very good pumps. Alot of the initial design problems have been resolved and luckily Ecotech is great on the customer service and repair end.

I would shy away from the closed loop and go with a more modern technology that is easier to maintain personally, not to mention adjustability. Once you drill the tank, there is very little you can adjust (even with lockline outputs) for flow patterns.

Your sump is of decent size and with the skimmer you are running, you should be able to get away with the Eheim 1262, but due to noise and microbubbles, you will not want to go with much more than that.

Even thought the BL pump you are going to use on the skimmer is rated for 1750 gph, it will not actually push those numbers do to the fractional losses of the skimmer design. It will likely end up being about 5-700 gph flow through the skimmer. The skimmer in the end determines how much you want to flow through your sump.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For one thing, the tank been drilled for over five years now, sitting here at my house and it has two overflow boxes and like i said, will have two return lines as well.

The less work for me in maintaining this tank is to be well off, im no young spring rooster like I once were years ago. And the sump isnt a 75, but I think less then a 65 gal tank, I ran a check.

Eheim 1262, im confused, your not suggesting that my main return pump be of a flow rate of 900 gph?

Buddy

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,985 Posts
For one thing, the tank been drilled for over five years now, sitting here at my house and it has two overflow boxes and like i said, will have two return lines as well.

The less work for me in maintaining this tank is to be well off, im no young spring rooster like I once were years ago. And the sump isnt a 75, but I think less then a 65 gal tank, I ran a check.

Eheim 1262, im confused, your not suggesting that my main return pump be of a flow rate of 900 gph?

Buddy
Yes, your only return pump should be the Eheim pump (now this is coming from the sump, not a closed loop).

The overflow boxes feed your sump, they don't feed a closed loop. The tank will have to be drilled with several more holes for a closed loop.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fat Tony, what about that james idea was to use two pumps due to that there be two returns? His idea again was two types of the quiet one, later when home I could show you what he suggested. But in doing something as this, I would then will need the closed loop system, using the pump I first mentioned as my main return pump.

Also, I buyed that equipment just in the neck of time, I just gotten my property tax in the mail, and its gone up huge, from last years it was $1400 and now this year its almost $2000.

So tomorrow I send George, the guy who I buyed all the equipment I listed in the large beginning post, and send him his money for the skimmer and pump, with the waste container, only $440 with shipping, not bad. Now for the next two months, I have to try and have the property tax together.

In the meantime, we could still make secisions on what I will have, and I might as well get together those list selections that I first started with in making my main tank fish and cleaning crew selection.

Property tax due before the end of the year, $1,942.46

Buddy

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,985 Posts
Just one pump and split it two ways. I twill be easier on your wallet, and with the dependability and noisiness of the quiet ones, you will be glad you went with an Eheim.

Just for giggles... describe to me what your idea of a closed loop is so I can make sure that we are on the same page... like how do you feed it and how it gets water back to the tank.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.