The Reef Tank banner

One filtration unit for two tanks?

1K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  FutureDoc 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All,
I am in the process of building two tanks. A 150 aggressive and a 220 reef. Both are in different rooms but only separated by a 5x8 ft under stairs closet. So here is what I was thinking. I wanted to put a 55g or 75g frag tank in line with my filtration..... So here is the question. If this gets confusing I am sorry and I will try to explain better. A 220g reef with one over flow going into a 55g frag tank and the other flowing into a 125 sump/fuge. The 55g frag tank which is drilled then flowing into the same 125g sump/fuge. On top of all of that a 150g aggressive FOWLR tank flowing into the same 125g sump/fuge. Just having one massive skimmer, some fuge items, and then two separate return pumps to send the water back to the 220g reef DT and the 150g DT. What are the best return pumps for that length of run and head way. I can get specific measurements soon. Is this feasible or am I just asking for trouble by combining the systems?

#3 ·
Lots of LFSs, aquariums, and even some reefers have massive systems that are all hooked into one. A guy I have frag swapped with has probably almost 800 gallons in his system, split into 6 or 7 tanks: a DT, a few frag tanks, and a giant sump with all the equipment a reefer could dream of and the biggest skimmer I have ever seen.

#7 ·
The chemistry isn't a huge concern. I know reef tanks and aggressive tanks both require things a little different. But I keep my tank pretty middle of the road. PH 8.2-8.4 temp 79℉-81℉ Salinity around 35 ppt or 1.026 CA between 380-400 dkh 11-12 magnesium 1250-1350 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate normally less than 5. So that should fit pretty much most marine set ups. A big problem right now if deciding on the right pumps which I need help with and just seeing if maybe it's a bad idea for some reason I haven't thought of yet. But yes I agree that is one problem. One issue will affect both tanks.

#9 ·
Any ideas on pumps? When you start getting into that size they are all expensive and I want to make sure the m money is well spent on one that will make the length and handle the head for both tanks with a good enough flow

#16 ·
+1 Iwaski... sorry for taking so long... traveling still. As for the model... that is up to you and the flow need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.