The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
I think it's really good to see a mandarin accepting food besides pods, which seem to be in short supply for some.
Culturing these black & white worms and seeing the results like here and with fish spawning with regular feeding should get more folks into either purchasing or raising worms for the obvious benefits.

I keep both, but find the white worms more convenient to feed and harvest.

Brass.....I keep thinking that I'll start a thread like: White worms are easier, but I'm sure there's a title hiding out there in the cloud.

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
grrrr.....I want a mandarin sooooo bad......lol. im just afraid I wont be able to get it to eat. maybe next time im at my lfs I can ask them to see if one of their mandarins will eat blackworms. I feed exclusively blackworms, so that would be awesome if I could find one that did.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
grrrr.....I want a mandarin sooooo bad......lol. im just afraid I wont be able to get it to eat. maybe next time im at my lfs I can ask them to see if one of their mandarins will eat blackworms. I feed exclusively blackworms, so that would be awesome if I could find one that did.
Mandarins can be a bit slow, but I think all of them can be trained to eat black worms. Here's how I did it. I turn off all my pumps, shoot a load of worms at one end of the tank to distract and feed most of the fish, then I use my turkey baster to squirt a couple (2? 3? 5? up to you) right in front of my mandarin. The first time I did this, I shot them in her face and it scared the hell out of her so she bolted. Once she came back out to the front of the tank I tried again, more gently. Squirt them in FRONT of her this time so she doesn't get a blast of fresh water in her face, but I was able to put some wiggling worms right in her path. She staired at them all confused for a bit. If they stop moving she will pass them over, but if they keep wiggling she will eventually strike at one. She now welcomes the tip of my turkey baster and doesn't shy away if I accidentally blast her in the face. Because of her, I changed the way I get my worms. Black worms die pretty fast in salt water I now fill a cup with fresh water (rodi) then grab a couple pinches of worms from my worm container and drop them in the feeding container. To feed them I just suck out a few with a turkey baster and spot feed. I made it sound complex, but it's really pretty simple. Key is keeping the fresh water worms in fresh water right up until you squirt them into the saltwater tank to maximize their "wiggle" time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
all the talk of worms has me sold i have always wanted a mandarin yet was never able to keep a pod population up to the demand. now i will be getting worms for sure. i think with some pods, worms, mysis, and anything else i can try i may have a chance. too bad i cant find a local shop with any.... oh well gonna have to order some online. thanks for the inspiration, your mandarin looks so happy!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.