The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to look in my tank on my way to bed and thought i saw something under a rock . Grabbed my flashlight and looked like a dang huge worm so i have hubby help me move the rock and sure enough huge worm. Check this out. Im guessing fire worm.. I was about id say min 6 inches long and about 1/3 inch wide. I used a penny to show approx size this is in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket.

This first picture seems like a normal small worm ...

nasty looking guy

It was still bunched up in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket

basing its size on a penny

Starting to strech out

How is that for some spikes on its sides.

So am i right in this being a fire worm and not a bristle worm... hes awfully red

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh i was cleaning up one day and saw a small maybe 1 inch long 1/8inch wide tiny guy *Bristle worm* but this one was huge lol. i was like get it out this is a 26g tank lol i gotta get my hands in there *ack* heres a better close up of it

wanna touch it lmao

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
when i lifted the rock and it was trying to hide in the sand i asked my hubby u wanna get it or u wanna hold the rock he took the rock... Now thats bad hes like im not going anywhere near that thing. Of course that was one heavy rock so i didnt care. lol

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
looks like a pretty common bristleworm, but they can leave a bit of an irritation if you touch them. actually they make a pretty good detrivore, cleaning up some of the wastes that accumulate in the tank.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont mind the little ones but this guy was pretty big and the tank in the end will have one rock and fish in a 26g tank.Last time i saw a bristle worm was about 6 months ago lol the tanks been going for 9 almsot 10 months. so he grew pretty quick.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
on the bright side i had to set a rock on its side after takikng this out cause spike *urchin* decided to move over and block the way i tryed to get him to move but he wasnt having it. I actually like it now lol.

·
11,345 Posts
all bristleworms are fireworms. pick one up and you will know why they are called that

the more and the larger you have, the more excess nutrients and rotting matter you have for them to thrive on. Their population will manage itself based on this, and if you have a bunch you want them as they are your friends and helping you clean this excess crap up

there area few polychaetes that eat corals, but they are not too often seen in the hobby. the most commonly found worm in our tanks that does do damage isnt a polychate, but actually a eunicidae, but they are easy to tell apart by the 5 prongs coming out of their head

Size has nothing to do with whether they will eat corals or not. Most are detrivores, and are simply not equipped to be killing and eating anything that is healthy to begin with.

heres a guy I used to keep in my sump when I kept a dirty nasty sump that could support him. Those are 18" tongs and a 90 in the background

here is the type of guy you dont want. this one happens to be pregnant. If you look closely at the blue tail you can see it is loaded with eggs. she dropped her tail and unloaded hundreds of them in the holding container I had them in. pretty glad I found her before she did it in my tank

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
okay that is just nasty looking lol. i guess i could throw him in the sump but i dont think hell live lol its only a week old

1 - 14 of 14 Posts