The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!

i just got off the phone with my parents and there neghbors want me to stop by as they have a "gift " for me. for $300 i can HAVE there 500 gal aquarium!!!!!! it is 5 yrs old and has been sitting in the basement empty for the last 3 years!!!!!! i told my parents to go over there fill it up to make sure it doesnt leak and ask em if they ever used copper or any other medications in the tank!!!!!!

if everything checks out i got my tank for when i move!!!!!!! ill post soe pics if i get it!!!!! I AM SOOOOO EXCITED

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it does have a slight leak down in a corner seal, i would assume i could somehow get an epox for it, cant i???? the dimensions are 70x56x40. there were no medications ever used. the leak is not major but just a lil tiny bit suposidly, there is an epoxy right!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
22,700 Posts
hmmmm, a "leaker",,,,be careful,,,, check into getting it repaired CORRECTLY! know too many stories of tanks "letting" loose,,,
and knocking the furnace's off it's base's ,,and tens of thousands of $$in insurance payments (the lucky ones)
that's a LOT of water/pressure to mess with,,,,
think REAL hard,,,,
none of us here want to hear of a upcoming disaster,,,,
good luck!
Keep us posted!:)

·
Super Moderator
22,700 Posts
mnreefman said:
it does have a slight leak down in a corner seal, i would assume i could somehow get an epox for it, cant i???? the dimensions are 70x56x40. there were no medications ever used. the leak is not major but just a lil tiny bit suposidly, there is an epoxy right!!!!!!
epoxy,,,don't think so,,,,my quess is silicone, after cleaning the corner AND mating sides VERY WELL,,,and go from there,,
back of your mind,,,,,,the other people are getting rid of it,,,,if it was a ez fix , i would think they would have done it,,,,,
sumpthin to think about...
epoxy does not flex, silicone does,,,,,

·
Registered
68 Posts
If this is a glass tank That is leaking from a seam; it can be fixed. It may take a couple of hours to do it right. If it is an arcylic tank I'm told they are even easier to fix; but I have never done it.

Ray

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Well, if you fix it and it still leaks, it would make a great lizard tank or a heckuva big terrarium. ;)

I agree, look into having someone do the work for you.

I hope it works out!

Alice

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you are not familiar with tank building / repair then I suggest getting in contact with somebody who is. 100% pure silicone is the only way to go with a glass tank. Only get silicone from your LFS..DONT buy from Home Depot or a place like that. Commercial grade silicones sold at these places are not 100% and contain algecides. You can find 100% silicone at these places on rare occasion.but..dont take the chance. Good luck and WOWZZERRS what a deal !!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it is such a good deal, i contacted a lfs to try and find 100% pure silicone and no one has any........ who would i call to get it done. i went and visited it, it is leaking from uner the stripping on the bottom back peice. the border or whatever.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no custom made

and they dont rember by who so am i stuck doing it, granted it is a great price but i cant have it exploding on me in 6 months when im in seattle

·
A goof
2,923 Posts
Mike (Mojoreef) or Jeff (Stang69) might know of who to contact about getting it "fixed"in Seattle I have heard that the best way is to carefully take a razor blade and remove the old silicone from the seams, make sure it is nice and dry then add silicone.

HTH

Jon

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Well if it was me and I new I had to move it to seattle, I would cut it up. Just cut all the seems and keep the five peices, this way you could create it and ship it out here easy and cheap. Then when your here we will get it completely redone and it would be like starting with a brand new tank.

Mike

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've never had do to anything with a leak like that, but...What Mike said!!! Really, if you have to fix one seam to begin with, you are better off doing all of them. I imagine it's a heck of a lot easier to make sure you (or someone) do the seam right if you can clean the whole edge of both pieces loose instead of trying to "cut and seal" a tight corner. Not to mention how much easier it will be to move.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok mojo this project is now in your hands, the day i move in your helping me get this taken care of. I AM DESIGNATING YOU! so i will let them know ill take it for the 300 then i rip all the siding off and slowly cut all the silicone off.
thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
68 Posts
First Home depot does sells aquarium grade silicone. Sorry I do not have a tube handy to look at the # on it. It say's safe for aquariums, And many hobbyist have used it. Drs Foster and Smith also sell it.

Second you can do it yourself. It is not that hard. Fine which seam is leaking. Use a box cutter razor or sharp knife and remove the old silicone strip along that seam. Use some bleach water to clean it well. Dry the seam and glass well. Run the silicone along the seam overlapping the old silicone you did not remove. Use a potato, with the skin removed on one end for about 1/3 of the potato. Use the skinless end to push the silicone against the glass and into the seam. Let dry 48 hours. Test to make sure you did it right and it does not leak.

Ray

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.