The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Wild Man
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to pick up the following items in a few minutes. Have some questions.

Custom 1⁄2 thick frameless fish tank
Oceans motions squirt four way
Waikiki 1000 gallon pump
Refractometer
Jbj auto water top off
1⁄5 horse power chiller w/controller
40 breeder tank for sump
T-5 twin tube light
Two 4.5 inch reef fans
Test kits ELOS Kh and Ca

This is as usual a craigslist special. I am specifically interested in using the OM Squirt the waikiki pump and the 40 gallon breeder for my 75 gallon tank.

Question #1
I plan on using the 40gal breeder for a sump. What are the dimensions for a 40 gallon breeder? will it fit in a standard 75 gallon stand or is it too wide?

Question #2 Is the Ocean Motion Squirt sufficient for my 75g tank? I will be moving soon and figured it would be nice to make my tank look a little cleaner when I set it back up.

Question #3
I know this sounds stupid, but the "reef fans" he is discussing... do you guys suppose those are for cooling or is it a name brand of power heads that I don't know about?

Question #4
Will a 1/5 horse power chiller be enough for a 75 gallon tank with a 40 gallon sump?

Sorry for a long post. Thanks in advance for all of your advice!!!!

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
ask for pictures of the equipment, it should be obvious what each item a photo is for which or you could ask the seller ti id eah item, and honestly, I do not have a clue from "fans" what he is talking about unlesse the setup comes with two guys that are cheering for the setup and REALLY like SW fishes...

·
Wild Man
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ask for pictures of the equipment, it should be obvious what each item a photo is for which or you could ask the seller ti id eah item, and honestly, I do not have a clue from "fans" what he is talking about unlesse the setup comes with two guys that are cheering for the setup and REALLY like SW fishes...
I can see pictures but it is jus a pic of the chiller and then another far away picture of everything on the list. It is hard to see anything really clearly. The basic idea that there is a buncha stuff is there, but nothing is super crisp. The guys is only asking 300 bucks for everything I posted and more so I figured I can't go wrong, but thought I would check to see anyway.

The things I am most worried about are the MO Squirt being large enough, and the 1/5 horse chiller. I mean i guess they couldn't hurt but if they were all I needed that would be great.

Any other folks want to chime in? Are they sufficient or are they a little too small?

THANKS!!! :help:

·
Registered
109 Posts
the 1/5 hp chiller should be enough, I baught a polar bear chiller off craigslist which is said to be a 1/10 hp. I have 2 175W Metal Halides and 2 65W PC actinics on my 55 and I keep the tank at 78 here in Florida with no problems. My halides were 4" off the water and it had no problem keeping it at 78. I ahve moved them up to 8" now because a snail crawled over my return spraying water up and broke one of my light bulbs!

·
Wild Man
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the 1/5 hp chiller should be enough, I baught a polar bear chiller off craigslist which is said to be a 1/10 hp. I have 2 175W Metal Halides and 2 65W PC actinics on my 55 and I keep the tank at 78 here in Florida with no problems. My halides were 4" off the water and it had no problem keeping it at 78. I ahve moved them up to 8" now because a snail crawled over my return spraying water up and broke one of my light bulbs!
Sweet thanks for the input! I have 2x250w metal hals and 2 96 watt PCs. I got the hals at the beginning of Autumn and didn't have any trouble keeping the tank a nice 78, but I usually start my AC later in the summer to avoid high cooling costs and spoiling myself too early in the year. I live in VA and it gets pretty hot.

How about the Oceans Motion Squirt? In the description it says it is used for smaller tanks with 1000 gph pumps. I thought smaller meaning 30 gal but the website says they have stuff run for up to 750 gallon tanks so I am not sure what their definition of "smaller" tanks actually is.

ANY HELP APPRECIATED!!!

Thanks to all who have chimed in so far!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I have used a OM Squirt on my 100G system for over 6 years now and they are great. I oriiginally had it plumbed into a closed loop but about a year ago I eliminated the closed loop for power seaving reasons and installed it in my return system with a Ocean Runner 3500 pump feeding it. Nice random flows without the extra pump and power consumption.

·
Wild Man
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I missed my opportunity. I couldn't get ahold of the seller in time to get to his house before another buyer showed up.

Anyway. thanks for the advice and I will be considering these items for my tank regaurdless.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts