The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went to beach today and found a cool olive snail. I acclimated him and now he is in my starter tank. Not sure I'm gonna keep him though. I heard they will eat nassarius snails and other "good" snails. But, are they more of a help, scavenging bits of meat or (as I suspect) more of a threat?

BTW, it's is very active, burrowing in the sand and moving around.

·
Registered
368 Posts
they will eat other snails but I have 5-6 olive snails and never had a problem with them harrassing each other. Not sure I would have taken the beach snail though

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
We went to beach today and found a cool olive snail. I acclimated him and now he is in my starter tank. Not sure I'm gonna keep him though. I heard they will eat nassarius snails and other "good" snails. But, are they more of a help, scavenging bits of meat or (as I suspect) more of a threat?

BTW, it's is very active, burrowing in the sand and moving around.
Predatory on most other mollusks including snails and clams.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/pestsnailfaqs.htm

·
Professional Tread Killer
754 Posts
Predatory on most other mollusks including snails and clams.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/pestsnailfaqs.htm
i learned this one the hard way.. i bought some and never saw them until i put some nassarius snails in.. as soon as they hit the sand the olive snails popped up and ate them.. wild to watch.. but as you can imagine .. i was :bigeek: at the time.. not really reef safe critters. not something i would put in my tank again.. i lost mine when my tanks crashed two weeks ago.. well. lost one.. my biggin hermits feasted on the other two.. i guess i have been neglecting them.. and they got hungry :doh:

·
Registered
46 Posts
you sure that olive snails will eat the nassarius snails....i have 5 in my tank and one olive snail.....i havent seen the olive eat any yet...i did see the olive snail launch a nassarius out of the sand once but never eat it..

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
I saw hundreds of these snails yesterday in Galveston as well. I opted not to bring any home, though I didnt know if they were safe or not.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just put a silverside head near it in the tank. Within a few seconds (maybe 1 sec) the proboscis raised up and a few seconds later turn in the sand and at that time the fishhead was swept (by the current) into it's path and it gobbled it up. Very cool.

I like that it easily took to a scrap piece of silverside. I was worried that it might be a predator only, or at the very least very finicky eater. I'm not sure I will keep this one, although I've heard from quite a few (in this and other forums) that they can be kept in reef tanks.

The only reason I took this chance, is because I just started this tank, and although it has cycled, I havn't introduced any corals or critters other than 2 small hermits.

My main concern is that I heard they will eat the infauna in a sand bed, which I read from one source. Not sure if this is true.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i learned this one the hard way.. i bought some and never saw them until i put some nassarius snails in.. as soon as they hit the sand the olive snails popped up and ate them.. wild to watch.. but as you can imagine .. i was :bigeek: at the time.. not really reef safe critters. not something i would put in my tank again.. i lost mine when my tanks crashed two weeks ago.. well. lost one.. my biggin hermits feasted on the other two.. i guess i have been neglecting them.. and they got hungry :doh:
I would be leary with just one. More than 1 sounds like too many... The one I found is about 2" in length.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a mystery snail

he is a long shiny shelled snail, was told its a tiger snail when i bought him but through some research it looks more like an olive snail. only comes out at night or when you put meat in tank, once i put a jumbo live shrimp in tank my husband caught shrimping and the so called tiger snail came up within seconds and wrapped around shrimp an drug him under sand. now that its getting bigger i suspicous that he may be the reason my fish are disappearing one by one, can anyone confirm the species and whether it is the culprit for my fish missing,
thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts