The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.thereeftank.com/forums/images/smilies/wavey.gif
Hey fish fam! I'm a previous member and sorta lost my way. I was very deep into aquariums, but life got in the way. It's been about 12 yrs, but I'm ready to jump back unto the fray. I'm setting up a 120gal salt tank and I know things have changed since I last looked into equipment and setups. That being said, I would greatly appreciate any all comments on setups, sumps, lighting, live vs dead rock, etc. Like I said ALL information would be greatly appreciated. https://www.thereeftank.com/forums/images/smilies/help.gif

·
Shark..but a friendly one
15,355 Posts
Previous member......Then a big welcome back to TRT! Yeah, life does have THAT tendency, but good to hear you found your way back.

Will you be leaning towards a fish only tank, or a reef tank? Some fairly well versed friendly folks around here will be more than happy to answer any questions that may pop up.

Glad to have Ya back, and all the best,
Hack

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
I highly recommend Gulf Live rock.
There are a few places that sell it online. It has a lot of life on it clams, sponges, coral to name a few.
Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Morning all, just getting in. Hack, I'm going for a reef tank. A nice community with colors and probably some softies. jerryclunsford, I'll check on those rocks, thanks. I haven't found a LFS worth anything in my area as yet, although someone just told me of a pretty decent one right down the road from me that I'm gonna check out this week. I may have to get everything online :(.
BTW Hack, I see you're a Ret. Navy? I was combat medic 8 yrs active Air Force, 4 yrs Navy Reserve. Honor to Serve!

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
The closest LFS to me is a Petco. I have had no trouble with their livestock. As a matter of fact I have a Pajama Cardinal I bought over 6 years ago. They only live around 5 years from what I have found online.
I can give you a link to where I got my rock. Matt got some small stuff from them and was happy with it as well. One thing, mine had some nice macro algae on it. You might want to remove it if you get some. I left mine on for a while it looked pretty good. Still wish I had not decided to get rid of all of it.

·
Shark..but a friendly one
15,355 Posts
Morning all, just getting in. Hack, I'm going for a reef tank. A nice community with colors and probably some softies. jerryclunsford, I'll check on those rocks, thanks. I haven't found a LFS worth anything in my area as yet, although someone just told me of a pretty decent one right down the road from me that I'm gonna check out this week. I may have to get everything online :(.
BTW Hack, I see you're a Ret. Navy? I was combat medic 8 yrs active Air Force, 4 yrs Navy Reserve. Honor to Serve!
THANK YOU for your service.....Never to late to feel appreciated, and to show appreciation!

Funny tail.....Summer of my senior year, my whole life before me, and one of the most important choices in life came down to me sitting on my car hood, feeling the effects of the King of Beers, knowing the next day I was going to go enlist, with someone,.......And I had this epiphany....'I can swim if'n I fall off a ship.....I can't fly if'n I fall out of a plane.....HELLO NAVY!'. :beer: That choice though followed me the rest of my life. Never strayed from being near the creek. Now a retired commercial diver, and finishing out my useful years in a boatyard for near on the last 30. Don't yet know what I wanna be when I grow up though....

Peace Brother!
Hack

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
With a 120 gallon I tank I would highly recommend a skimmer.
It will help keep water quality up.
Water changes to reduce nutrients on large tanks have to be very large.
For example a 60 gallon water change will only reduce nutrients by 1/2.
You will want the advantage that a protein skimmer will give you.
Rocks and substrate in the sump are not needed, especially the substrate just another thing to clean. If you don't have enough room in the display tank for an adequate amount of rock or you want the look that less rock gives, you can put extra rock in the sump but I really don't think it is necessary.
You really want a lot of caves and crevices for fish and other livestock to hide in.
You might want to consider filter socks if you are going to have mechanical filtration in the sump as it much easier and cleaner to swap filter socks instead of pulling out a filter sponge and replacing it. I most likely would not use a foam filter in the second position you can use it to place bags media such as carbon, etc. if needed.
As for the UV Filter, not absolutely necessary, some people find them helpful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts