The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Since there have been so many threads about the nuisances that can carry using old tank gadgets in new setups, one question came up:
My 55 gal FOWLR tank used to be a freshwater tank.
Just like it happens to many other people, I treated the FW setup with medication. Not copper based, as far as I know, but with those commercial blue/green tinted anti-ich remedies. The silicone in that tank turned blue with time (I had this tank as FW for about 4 years). When I turned it into a FOWLR tank, I kept damsels, feather dusters, yellow tangs, clownfishes, one pygmy angel, even an anemone that sit in the tank for about 1 year (it went thru a move process also). It didn't seem to affect the growth of life in the live rock, like crabs (crabs were like a pest in my tank for a period of time), oysters, scallops, etc. The only inverts that would die on me were the christmas tree worms (I don't know if they died or they were killed actually).
So, I have two powerheads that I used in that tank. I was wondering if I could use these powerheads in my new setup. they're good powerheads and still operational. I would like to use them for water changes.

I'd appreciate your comments on this one

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
All the equipment I use on my saltwater tanks were used in freshwater environments...

Actually, all my tanks WERE freshwater tanks... I wouldn't see any problem with it, expecially if you had good results with corals in the past with that equipment...

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
if you wanted ot be extra careful, you could put the powerheads in a bucket of water for a few days, running, then takea sample into the lfs for copepr testing..... might be some work to it, but if nothign else, it COULD save some damage.

since your tank isnt actually fileld yet anyway, a few extra days wouldnt hurt.. but this is also under the assumption that your lfs can/will test copperfor you

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.