The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as i was switching out my sumps today i found something that made me jump.
BRISTEL WORMS. they where in the section of my sump where the bio ball are ( but i switched out the bio balls with rocks) i counted about 15 small 1 inch worms. never seen one in my display tank and hope i never do. let this be a lesson to every one else with small sumps that are hard to look into.

here is the old and new sump.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well thats an idea. or you can

move it near your closet drill holes in your wall an put a 20 gallon sump/refuge there.

wat ever yoou do just make sure you dont see it or hear it you could build it your self. but i wouldnt recomend it because you wouldnt know what you need or want in a sump so buy and old one from somebody or just get a 10 gal and put in a skimmer.

·
Registered
328 Posts
the thing is the house is my parents and im doing the saltwater fish tank in my room. and i don't want to drill any holes in the wall.(tank=my money and part of the electricity bill LOL) i think im jus' gonna get the protein skimmer. u think that'd be sufficient? oh yeah sorry about the thread jack.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
you can never remove all of the bristle worms. they are in every piece of LR in the tank. if you have a substrate, than you can get some real monsters. getting over a foot long is not unheard of.

you want them in the tank. they are your free cleanup crew.

G~

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
thekid55 said:
as i was switching out my sumps today i found something that made me jump.
BRISTEL WORMS. never seen one in my display tank and hope i never do.
You make bristle worms sound like a bad thing. They aren't. They're a very good thing. Just don't touch them with your fingers, that much is bad.

They are superior cleaner-uppers, they'll eat all kinds of uneaten food, dead tissue and they leave healthy organisms alone.

I'm sure you probably have dozens or hundreds in your main tank, they just stay hidden.

Love thy worms.

Jenn

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Really? I had only heard bad things about bristle worms. I have been afraid I would see thm in my tank. Now I look forward to meeting them ;-)

·
Registered
300 Posts
you can tell the bad worms because they roll the pack of cigarettes up in their shirt sleeve and have tattoo's that say "MOM"

:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts