The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Big Pa
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just finished plumbing a new sump in my basement and I am ready to pull my hair out. My first question is why now is my overflow not staying at a constant level? What can I do to fix it? I know that the overflow water level going up and down is causing the problem downstairs. I have tried dialing down the return flow to stop the problem and it did but there was not enough flow upstairs. The level in the overflow is causing the issue downstairs of bubbling up. Any help would be great. Thanks Carl

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
Your water level in your DT [upstairs] is not consistant?

You said bubbles....is your return pump intake pumping bubbles?

If so, your gph can vary and cause up/down water levels up stairs.

Can you isolate the bubbles with a baffle?

·
Big Pa
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
level in overflow of DT not consistent
bubbling up in sump on the drain side
its like everything is ok then all the sudden a big rush of water comes down then stops for a few seconds then another big rush of water

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
sounds like you've got an air bubble that forms when you have a larger amount of flow down, plus you have new plumbing. On my frag system I had inconsistent flow from the overflows as well. I reduced the pump output (return) to let it get broken in, then increased it. Sounds silly, but it worked for me. How big is your overfow pvc? If the outlet is submerged, the sudden pushing of all the pvc-air out is what is causing the bubbles. Either drill a small hole above the waterline for air relief, or bring the output up a bit above waterline (though more noise initially)
Matt

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Sounds like a water flow issue or an air outlet issue. Did you put a hole in the top of your durso in the overflow? Or is there a way you can test to allow more air out of the top of the durso? I know mine at home will do that if the air hole clogs with salt creep.

·
THE VILLAGE IDIOT
2,622 Posts
thats exacty what i was gona say......i had to drill a 5/16 hole int he top of my durso to keep the water level at one constant level. whats happening is you overflow is flilling up once it losses suction and then draining back down below the lip of the durso and then filling back up....

just drill a small hole in the very top and you should notice it fix itself. its gona be a lil loud untill slime and algeastart building up to help quet things down.

ya know im just a text away if ya have any questions. im off the next 3 days

·
The Watcher
2,046 Posts
yup look up Durso, that fixes the flushing sound

·
Big Pa
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
there is a 1/8" hole in the top maybe it needs to be bigger i will try bigger let everyone know soon thanks

·
Big Pa
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
forgot to tell ya after tank plumbing is 1" to and fro

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
IMO, the pre-drilled holes in store bought standpipes are almost always too small. The only way that they work is if you either drill a second hole of approximately equal size or throttle the flow way back.

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
I agree with the others, in that I think you need to put a valve on the return line to throttle down the flow. As the plumbing breaks in, you should be able to open it over time. I'd also enlarge the hole in the top of your Durso, as you need more air in the tube to break up the siphon that's causing the "toilet flush syndrome" you're describing.

-Joe

·
Big Pa
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i do have the flow restricted and I did drill out the hole to 1/4". Waiting for it to break in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts