The Reef Tank banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
My tank is still set up like that and is still running from 1971. Still using the UG filter and DIY skimmer and rocks.

No problems yet but I bet in a few weeks it will crash. :oops:

I wish you the best of luck. ( you will have much better long term luck if you run that UG filter in reverse)

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
27,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Been awhile since I updated this. Just been cycling and haven’t added anything but a kenya tree from the reef because it became tasty to the coral beauty. And would no longer open.
it been in the 36 for about 5 days and looks like it ready to.
last night I came home from the kids and the bottom rim was filled with water and I was thinking it was a leak. I dried what I could and went to bed.
today it looks dry and am thinking it because of the water level on a rimless tank and surface agitation cause some water to drip over the rim. I will have to keep an-eye on it and lower level some.

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,129 Posts
Hey! Cool idea! This concept predates me by a little bit, undergravel filters were on their way out by the time I entered the hobby in 1998, but I did have a similar tank! I had a 29G with a cholate chip star, one of those monster Hermit Crabs that kept trying to climb out of the tank, a HOB filter, and some Power Compacts. After some changes I even kept Yellow Pylops in there!

I'm looking forward to following along.

Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
27,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Wiskey, this is a slow process for me. Only have a kenya tree in the tank so far. All my time lately been focused on seahorse fry.

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,129 Posts
Wiskey, this is a slow process for me. Only have a kenya tree in the tank so far. All my time lately been focused on seahorse fry.
I get it! I've been stuck on the same step of my 25G waterbox build for like 3 months now,.. the worst part is that the tank is technically already running.

Whiskey

·
Administrator
48,447 Posts
Back in the mis 70s when I started setting up marine tanks I used MarineBio Systems UGF( Big undulated plates with best powerheads available at time, as well as Vortex diatom filters, with a generous amount of "live sand" from established tanks. No sumps back then, but I would clean accounts tanks using a siphon hose and return water to display tank because the ( clients ) didnt like all the bugs. OK, My mandarins in a 125 seemed to do well when i poured them in tank

·
Super Moderator
27,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I have to be one of the slowest people when it comes to cycling and then adding livestock to a tank. But the tank is doing good and here are a few pictures. Only thing in right now is a kenya tree. Had to pull from reef because the coral beauty had a taste for it. And when they are picked on they tend to drop babies and can overrun a tank.
Water Blue Light Marine invertebrates Azure

Water Blue Plant Underwater Organism

·
Super Moderator
27,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Water Vertebrate Natural environment Organism Fluid

Blue Underwater Plant Purple Organism
Still looks the same, I just feed the tank with leftover fish food. Kristine told me I need to add color to the tank. Which I do but I’m slow getting it done. Want to add some more soft corals. Need a few crabs and fish.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts