The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I started out in the freshwater hobby a while back and when I bought my first tank, I was given a bunch of coral, LR, and other things I had no idea about from a previous saltwater setup. I had family visit me last weekend and they brought all the old live rock (actually dead coral) that had been sitting around in a rubbermaid filled with water for literally 8 years. During that time, frogs, bugs, and who knows what else had surely been living with that coral. Now that I am starting my first reef tank and actually know what the stuff is for, I'm wondering if I can use it. At this point, the rock is dry and is sort of white in color with some brown on it. How safe do you suppose it is? And how should I proceed from here?

Thanks,

Brandon

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I have no Idea. If i was to try it I think I might get a couple pieces of new LR mix them in with the old LR in a tub with a pump and skimmer on it for a couple of weeks maybe even seed it with TLC. Just my thoughts

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
how soon are you thinking about getting the SW tank started?

if you have the time i suggest laying all of the LR/coral out on a deck or something for a week or so to dry it out. at this time if you can get a pressure washer to spray off any dead living things that may have been with them in the bucket. after this they should be good to use.

G~

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been cycling/purging my tank and true LR for about 4 months now. I have a 4" DSB and the LR in there right now. I have been drying out the other rock that was in the rubbermaid for about a week now. I guess it would be a good idea to take it down to the car wash and do some serious pressure washing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts