The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went into Home Depot to check for some Southdown, which they said they don't carry, but they do have Old Castle play sand. . . I did a quick search on the board and found a thread that said that Southdown had changed their name to Old Castle. . . is that right?

In other words. . . can I use the Old Castle play sand (well rinsed of course) in my tank? I already have about 60 lbs LS and I want to supplement it with 100 lbs or so of sand to build up the DSB. . .

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. . . I'm glad I bit the bullet and bought it the other day (nearest HomeDepot is about 1 1/2 hrs away!)

Now I can happily finish rinsing it and add it to the tank. . . I'm removing the UGF today/this week :)

Wish me luck!!

·
Registered
658 Posts
That's something I'm curious about too... why 'not' rinse sand?
I usually put any sand/gravel in a bucket and run water through it to remove the dust and other gunk that's collected in it... I just figured that anything that doesn't float goes in the tank, and in turn doesn't pollute the water.
Of course I'm learning that everything changes with reefing (I come from a fw background), but I still wonder about some things... :)

·
Super Moderator
22,766 Posts
Yup on the Old Castle,,same thang
ditto on the no rinsing,,,,,,
throw a cocktail shrimp in da tank (after it clears a bit),,,
the bacteria will bond to the "dust" particles,,and help bind the sand a bit,,,

·
Super Moderator
22,766 Posts
RA,,,,this is one carry over that does not apply in SW,,,
arag gravel,,,maybe a rinse,,,,sand ,nope!
the fine stuff is as important as the larger grains,,,
bacteria will bind the particles in time,,,,

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK. . . thanks for the tip. . . out of 100 lbs sand I only rinsed about 25 lbs. . . the rest I will out in as is. . . If I have enough, maybe I'll just leave the rinsed stuff out. . . thanks for the input!!

How long should I expect to see "muddy" waters-- are we talking a couple of days or weeks ;)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BTW. . . been meaning to ask. . . I've got a friend that is planning to set up a FO tank, but wants to use aquarium gravel (like in Finding Nemo *groan*) I know that this is a no no, but I don't know exactly WHY :)

Anyone know the answer?? (so I can further illuminate her :) )

·
Super Moderator
879 Posts
it takes about a week for it to clear :(
Do you have water in the tank yet?

If not put the sand in first, and add water slowly. You can pour the water into a bowl in the tank and let it spill over the sides, this will cause less of a sand cloud. But there is no way around the cloudiness but it might help a little...

·
Registered
706 Posts
Mammaduck,
Aquarium gravel is a no-no for several reasons.
1. It provides little or nothing in the way of bio filtration...unlike live rock and live sand there just isn't as much are for bacteria to form and take care of your nitrogen cycle.
2. The gaps between the gravel are not suited for most detritus feeders like bristle worms....therefore food particles and waste that drop into the little gaps just sit there, never being processed, building up pollutants in your water.
3. Some freshwater aquarium gravel may have chemicals or materials that while fine in freshwater might leach into a system in salt water....though this might not be a problem for the fish (or it might) and the tank may seem fine for months, the first time this friend trys to put a coral or something similar in the tank it might react to the chemical or metals in the gravel.

And last but not least it looks bad...as far as a reef goes it just doesn't fit the "genre". The only advantage to the freshwater aqua gravel is cost and availability, and the risks and drawbacks far outweigh these.

JMHO

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ReefDave,

Thanks for the info. . . she needed more than "it looks bad" (which was what I already told her :) ) Armed with a better arguement I am certain I can talk her out of it ;)

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
If there's already water in the tank, add the sand via a 1" PVC pipe. That puts it right on the bottom where you want it, and should minimize the sandstorm somewhat.

If you can help it at all, don't just pour it in... that'll create the proverbial milkshake!

Danielle

·
Registered
706 Posts
You people should be LOVING YOUR SANDSTORM....EMBRACE YOUR SAND STORM....there are people less fortunate who have not yet gotten thier tanks set up.....we would LOVE to be in the sand storm stage right now! I would give my left big toe to be adding sand to a fully assembled water filled tank right now!

Just kidding!

dave

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
amen i'm with dave :)

i have 300 pounds of southdown and i cant wait to have a milkshake!! though i will do everythign in power to prevent one :)

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
to think.... my DSB has finally gotten fully established and is churning out tons of nitrogen bubbles and I'm going to have to move the tank in Oct...

Since it's only a 30 gallon, I'm hoping that I'll be able to save the bed and get it going right away when we move...

As for the 125, I'll prob bucket up that sand, and keep it for later use... since it's a FOWLR tank, I'm just going to use a bit of crushed coral as substrate when i set it up in the house... Also going to try and tie the two tanks together with the 55 gallon I have as a sump until I can start working on the big tanks...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.