The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The expense is not my own here I'm lookin for the best stuff for a 50 gal FOWLR tank.

It will be sumpless with all HOB stuff.

--Skimmer: Coralife Super Skimmer rated for 125 gal

--Filter: Emperor Bio-Wheel 400 (is this necessary?)

--3 MJ 1200's

--Live Rock

--Tahitian Moon Sand 40-60 lb

The tank is 36x18x18 so I have no clue how to go about lighting. I know the lighting won't be as expensive as for a reef so which is a good fixture? I'd like one that's tank mounted as well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
i think you can skip the filter, you can use it, it would help clean the water, but a skimmer does just fine, and the filter would HAVE to be cleaned very frequently. just a simple hob skimmer should do just fine by itself.

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
you really dont need anything fancy as far as the lights go. You can use the light that comes with the tank and just replace the bulb with a 10k bulb. It only costs about 10 dollars.

·
Administrator
46,745 Posts
The last one is a single 96 watt Power compact tube, it will be bright but its about $20 more than a dual bulb normal flourescent that will be plenty on a fish only tank
Also you will want to put the glass tops back on if you use the standard sit on tank normal aquarium lighting, so that will add cost if you dont have one already. You might ask at the LFS if they have used you could get reasonable priced

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Lighting is simple on a FOWLR just flourescent tubes are fine. For the skimmer I would get something rated well over the size of your tank as FO systems can tend to be much dirtier with the types of fish in them, messy eaters! i would also consider using one of the power heads to keep some flow at the bottom of the tank so as much un eated food and detritus is kept in suspension as possible, this will allow the skimmer to pull it out of the water!

Robert

1 - 10 of 10 Posts