The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have learned another good lesson here this weekend. I really do need to install an automatic top off/lime water system.
I would appreciate any advice on parts, where to buy, construction, and experiences. The limewater tub, pump, and RO/DI will be located in a seperate room from the reef tank and the feeder tubing will be run through the ceiling then down to the tank. Should be fun.
Reliability is first priority (don't want any overflowing or overdosing), budget is second, ease of maintenance third.
Links to previous forums or websites would be welcome.
Thanks
Sean

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
i have my system plumbed into the house plumbing. i tapped into a cold water line near the tank with a 1/4" saddle valve. this is run directly into my water purifier. this is then run into a pressure control valve which is set to around 8 psi. this is then run into my kalk reactor. i had to use a pressure rated pump for the reactor so it would not leak. a mag 2 is on it now. the oulet of the kalk reactor is controlled by a good ol fashion Kent float valve. i think this is the most reliable way to do it. i do not trust anything electronic when it comes to SW.;) it has been running this way for close to a year now without any problems at all.

there are some pics of the system at the link in my sig.

G~

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Sean I use a 32 gallon Brute trash can with a Mag5 pump, auto float switch (bought on ebay), 1/2" bulkhead fitting, a few PVC fitings and some 1/2"ID clear hose. The pump is plumbed to the bulkhead on the inside of the can. The bulkhead is about 3-4" down from the top edge of the can. Then the bulkhead is plumbed to the overflowin my 55RR tank. I check the float switch anytime I'm dealing with the sump (this is where the float switch is locatd) and make sure it's not getting any salt build up. Since the float switch is not next to the limewater feed I'm not too worried about it getting calcium build up. Thje limewater is pretty diluted by the time it gets to the 3rd chamber of the sump, where the float switch is actually mounted in the sump. The pump is zip tied to a piece of eggcrate to keep the pump positioned.

Here is a pic of the Brut3e container fromthe ouside. I'll also post pics of the varius parts...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
This last pic shows the pump inside of the brute container attached to the eggcrate. You can also see in the pic that there is almost no precipitation crust on top of the water. You can also see the excess kalk powder in the bottom of the container.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.