The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont want to go reading about this for hours on the net, so lets see if anyone knows. I could be wrong, but as far as I know, a heater usually adjusts itself to the water temp when first submerged, then kind of holds itself at a certain temp regardless of what the temp of the tank does. Is this correct or not? Because on three different tanks, I have my heaters set at 74 degrees, and they are kicking on even though the tank temp is around 79.

Is there a heater that actually shuts on when it is needed and doesnt use "reminded" heat schedules of when to run? One that actually has mercury or some sort of other electrode in it that actually detects the water temp for an "on and off cycle" on a minute basis rather then a daily?

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
The heaters we use aren't really very sophisticated instruments. They either use a bi-metal warp switch (not very accurate) or some kind of micro processor. Either way I doubt the number you see on the thermostat is going to be dead on accurate. If you want better reliability and a less chance of a stuck switch then get something like a Ranco temperature controller. Set it and forget it.

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
most heaters turn on only when needed. they usually turn on when the temp of the water is less then the temp set on the heater. Ive never had a problem with this and i dont use expensive heaters at all. if your heater is turning on when the tank is warmer then the set temp i say the heater is messed up. But like everyone said thermometers could be a degree off.

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Exactly. I thought I was going to kill everything in my tank when I had to run out for 5 hours. I set my heater at 73 to get the thing to not switch on so much while my halides are on. I turned my halides off and left the house. I come home and my tank temp is still at 79 degrees. Ridiculous. I mean its cool that everything didnt die, just messed up that it actually kept the tank at that temp

1 - 6 of 6 Posts