The Reef Tank banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I have my tank sold so Im open to suggestions on lighting. Should I go with 2 IC 175's or should I go with the Dual PFO pulse start ballast for the 150 de's.

It will be a 60x18x24 tank .

Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a chance in the world on 400's Sorry heheh

Jeff

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats a possibliity but when I had the b4 I had a heat issue thats why I have 175's now. I will refuse to buy a chiller

Jeff

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2 IC's

·
Pretty In Pink
3,288 Posts
Have you checked out Reef Fanatic's E ballast's for 129.00? They are suppose to fire everthing -including HQI's. They are less $$ than IC's and if you ever go "bigger" - it's the 250's. For heat issue- fans work great.

just my $ .0005

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
:funny:

NEW TRT RULE... all folks from the U.S., will only be required to post 2 cents worth of advice, but our canadian members will be required to post 5 cents due to currency exchange rates :D

·
bug hunter
816 Posts
Jeff,

If you aren't going with 250's I'd say go for a dual 175w ballast,I'm partial to PFO, plus they have a very good track record.

As for bulbs, 10k Ushio!

I have seen a few tanks lit by 175w 10k's and they're hard to beat for 175w. You keep SPS right?

Take a look at the purple rim cap, mid page in this post by DennisW(NaH20freak). His tank does very well with these lamps.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=181941

My 0.2cents(peso):D

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Jeff I would go with 250 MH's for sure! Now that I have them on my tank I think they are awesome!:D

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do the DE bulbs burn as hot or could I step up to the next DE size 250? I think

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
22,408 Posts
MontanaRocknReefer said:
Jeff I would go with 250 MH's for sure! Now that I have them on my tank I think they are awesome!:D
C'mon Jeff,,,,you are gonna wish you had 400 Watters soon enuf,
do what i did, jumped straight to them ,,,from160w of normal flo's to
2-400 W 10K's,4-55W PC actinics,,,,,
keeps the Police 'copter around ,,,,
what you never got a Xmas card from your utility company either?
LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts